AC charger

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themass31

Sorry if this has been asked before but can we use the ecotricty green AC rapid chargers and if so how quickly are they at charging the I3
Craig

You are not really supposed to but they do work. However they will only charge at 7kW because the i3 can only use one phase of the three-phase supply. So you are using a 'rapid' charger as a standard 'fast' charger. If you do use one it would be courteous to vacate immediately if a user needs a true rapid charge.

Not trying to be annoying, those can correctly be called charging stations, but not a charger, whether single or 3-phase, when acv powered, it's a smart on/off switch, more correctly called an EVSE. Now, a CCS unit IS a charger, since it bypasses the internal charger in the i3.

Common usage often overshadows the correct term, like calling a tissue a Kleenex(TM), or cellophane tape Scotch(TM) tape, or a copier a Xerox(TM). Those are common 'errors' in the USA that most everyone knows what you mean...still doesn't make it correct. Is a copy made on say a Canon copier a Xerox?

The J1772 plug, as implemented in the USA for cars, only has two power pins, so that is a mute point although it does support 3-power pins in the standard, it is not very common here. The Type 2 plug selected for use in Europe has three power pins (not all may be present or connected) to provide up to 3-phase power inputs. Some places get all bent out of shape if you unbalance the load by only using part of the output (i.e., two of the three power leads).

I have not noticed two versions of the KLE (the charging device in the i3), and it is limited to a single or split phase input of around 240vac max via two power pins. So, I think it is the same in both areas. As I understand it, the KLE is optional in some markets, and charging is split between two units (one also is what generates power during regen, and is in all versions) and the KLE is standard in the USA, and is what ups the max current capacity to the 7.4Kw input. Without the KLE, an i3 would be limited to about half the charging rate verses one with it.

On a 3-phase input, phase-to-phase voltage may be closer to 400vac than 230vac, which, is higher than the i3 was designed to utilize. Not sure if this is an issue or not, even if the unit's plug did fit.

Back