Aftermarket wiper blades

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SustainableMe

Has anyone tried using aftermarket wipers, and winter blades in particular, on their i3? Here in snow country blades just don't last a full year, and replacements from the dealer were $74 . Having said that, the stock wipers appear to be another special "i3 design."

Cheers

I realize service plan details vary by market— hence the qualifying participle phrase— but the original poster who cites the part's cost identifies as being in New York. Therefore should qualify for free replacements until 4 years/50K miles.

stumbledotcom said:
Wiper blades are replaced free under the standard 4 years/50k miles maintenance plan in the US.

Not so much...according to my service manager, its one set per year (same as for my previous car, a MINI), which would be July for me. In snow country where they use lots of salt and sand on the roads, wiper blades do not last long in the winter - I often put on 2 or more sets over this period.

I went with the NAPA AccuFit primarily because they were the only option in stock, and they were on sale. The trick for any brand, I think, is to get 'beam' type of blade (new to me). Interestingly, the longest blade made in the AccuFit line was 28" -- Still just a tad shorter than the stock blade by about 1 inch (1/2 inch per end) - yet its not really noticable when on the car.

For the back window, a 12 inch refill will work fine after one clips it to the proper length. With a carefull hand, the old one can be flexxed too slide out - so too can the replacement be slid in. Little opportunity to make the rear blade longer, tho.

Funny -> the NAPA salesman, who actually walked out into the cold to check the size of the blades on the car, asked me if I wanted to buy some fuel injector cleaner as it was on sale. I declined, but took the opportunity to talk about EVs with him (30 minutes...slow night)

And, as stated in a recent thread, the dance of the front wipers to re-set themselves is way cool...worth the effort to replace the blades, me thinks.....

Suprisingly, the fit guide (book and online) for the rainex blades had a 14" beam (not correct) for the driver's side, and a different style 21inch (correct) blade for the passenger.

Conclusion: the afterarket blades work just fne and were <1/2 price of the blades from the dealer.

I hope this helps!

SustainableMe said:
stumbledotcom said:
Wiper blades are replaced free under the standard 4 years/50k miles maintenance plan in the US.

Not so much...according to my service manager, its one set per year (same as for my previous car, a MINI), which would be July for me. In snow country where they use lots of salt and sand on the roads, wiper blades do not last long in the winter - I often put on 2 or more sets over this period.

I went with the NAPA AccuFit primarily because they were the only option in stock, and they were on sale. The trick for any brand, I think, is to get 'beam' type of blade (new to me). Interestingly, the longest blade made in the AccuFit line was 28" -- Still just a tad shorter than the stock blade by about 1 inch (1/2 inch per end) - yet its not really noticable when on the car.

For the back window, a 12 inch refill will work fine after one clips it to the proper length. With a carefull hand, the old one can be flexxed too slide out - so too can the replacement be slid in. Little opportunity to make the rear blade longer, tho.

Funny -> the NAPA salesman, who actually walked out into the cold to check the size of the blades on the car, asked me if I wanted to buy some fuel injector cleaner as it was on sale. I declined, but took the opportunity to talk about EVs with him (30 minutes...slow night)

And, as stated in a recent thread, the dance of the front wipers to re-set themselves is way cool...worth the effort to replace the blades, me thinks.....

Suprisingly, the fit guide (book and online) for the rainex blades had a 14" beam (not correct) for the driver's side, and a different style 21inch (correct) blade for the passenger.

Conclusion: the afterarket blades work just fne and were <1/2 price of the blades from the dealer.

I hope this helps!

JOOC, did you buy your car in CNY or here in Albany? I ask because I was their first sale, but someone from CNY took delivery the day before I did.

Back