Basic Physics...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jadnashuanh said:
Even if you can turn the REx on early, as you can (you may not, forget, and easily run into a similar problem) elsewhere, if you continue to exceed the ability of the REx to keep up, you WILL run into exactly the same situation everywhere. What BMW did was to shift the responsibility on the user, but exactly the same end game can show up in Europe and elsewhere as in the USA. Does that make theirs dangerous?

You cannot continue to draw down the SOC and expect to keep up if you are going to drive long enough and hard enough under those adverse conditions and keep going.

The top speed on the i3 is well above any legal speeds posted in the USA, and it CAN do them, but like any car, EV or not, the faster you drive, the faster you run out of energy to keep going. The i3 REx does that somewhat more gracefully than running out of fuel on the side of the road - at least with the REx and a nearly dead battery, you can keep going as long as you have some fuel, even if it is in a degraded mode. On an ICE, run out of fuel, you're dead in the water.

I hope never to run into the 'can't move' situation on my BEV, but if I do, I won't blame BMW for it, just like I wouldn't if I ran my car out of gas...it's MY responsibility, not theirs, to keep it fueled so it works to my expectations (as long as they are based on reality, not wishful thinking!).

You keep missing the whole point, the Rex was bastardized/hampered/crippled in the US version for the sake of corporate greed with out regard to the safety ramifications of their decision. At least with the European version software, you would be able to engage the Rex on a long trip or in hilly terrain and where you may even be able to pick up DC rapid charging along the way and have the extra flexibility. Any idiot knows you cant run you vehicle out of fuel, the issue here is the Rex can have a full tank and when the battery charge goes down to 6.5% you are just almost already basically in cripple mode. Really getting tired of you BEV only people telling us there is no difference between the two as it is the Rex owners fault that they aren't thinking and did not do their homework.

BMW did not communicate these limitations to there potential customers and is still tight relatively lipped about their continuing modifications. The KLE problem as a new example, while doing a little better they are still far from being transparent.

You maintain that this is only a city car, well ok in the USA in our big cities you have to take the interstate to get from one side of town to the other and that involves keeping up with the traffic. Power loss in the car in the big city due to speed is a big issue, especially if it happens to soccer Mon with 2 or 3 kids in the car and the car looses power and can't keep. Not all big cities are flat either here on the east coast and Midwest. Let me tell you the loop around Chicago, it scares me when I am in my ICE car. I can't imagine loosing power and having to do 25 MPH and try to even get over to the right lane to get out of the way of suicide drivers like they are there.

Finally I think it is criminal what they did the the REx in one more way, resale value will certainly be hurt by the reduced capability of the Rex in the US. No matter it will scare some people away and naysayers will have a field day with it too. Especially if something bad happens in rush hour sometime in one of our megalopolises. The media will be on it like stink on shit.

You can say it won't come back to bite BMW big time but I bet you it will, they will be liable just you wait till something bad happens. Remember Audi unintended acceleration, remember Prius floor mat issue, and unintended acceleration. There have been others, guaranteed BMW will be in court over this issue and it will cost all of us when it happens, not just BMW. I had an Audi back then, resale values plummeted.

Please stop posting your moans over a variety of threads. If you must drone on then please keep to a single thread.

Ugh... why is it when I look at new posts on here it's the same moan every day. We get the general jist of the issue and we can tell you are not very happy. If others are also not happy I'd suggest you all band together and have a private chat about it rather than inflicting this upon everyone day after day. Go and complain in a group to BMW rather than daily to people who understand fully already.

Good luck.

juniorbeep said:
Ugh... why is it when I look at new posts on here it's the same moan every day. We get the general jist of the issue and we can tell you are not very happy. If others are also not happy I'd suggest you all band together and have a private chat about it rather than inflicting this upon everyone day after day. Go and complain in a group to BMW rather than daily to people who understand fully already.

Good luck.

++++++1 !

MikeS said:
Please stop posting your moans over a variety of threads. If you must drone on then please keep to a single thread.[/quote

Why don't you stop complaining about me yourself. You know what....... As long as people keep putting out their thoughts on the other side of the story, guess what! I WILL RESPOND WHEN AS I THINK IT IS NEEDED.

juniorbeep said:

Good luck.

Stop reading it, you know the title of the thread , just refrain from clicking on it!!!!!

mindmachine said:
It takes 2 or more, if you guys keep fanning the flames what the H... do you expect.

LOL..OMG...we're the ones "fanning the flames"? Really? My god are you anal.

You have whined/whimpered in at least 3 different threads.....

kevinb61 said:
mindmachine said:
It takes 2 or more, if you guys keep fanning the flames what the H... do you expect.

Hay I don't appreciate your remarks,,ANAL not nice, I am a CHRISTIAN and I believe in decency and morality. Sorry I often get this and thread I started mixed up with this one. GREED at the expense of safety pisses me off, sorry but it is my religious upbringing. I still love the car, it is a super piece of engineering, and it is a crime/sin that it was crippled in the name og getting CARB credits. That is my gripe.

Sorry if I bore you with my safety concerns.

mindmachine said:
kevinb61 said:
mindmachine said:

Hay I don't appreciate your remarks,,ANAL not nice, I am a CHRISTIAN and I believe in decency and morality. Sorry I often get this and thread I started mixed up with this one. GREED at the expense of safety pisses me off, sorry but it is my religious upbringing. I still love the car, it is a super piece of engineering, and it is a crime/sin that it was crippled in the name og getting CARB credits. That is my gripe.

Sorry if I bore you with my safety concerns.
Just to chime in. In kevenb61's defense, there is nothing technically indecent, amoral or even unchristian about being called "anal". Per wikipedia "The term anal retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal,[1] is used to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the anal-retentive person. The term derives from Freudian psychoanalysis."

juniorbeep said:

I see you want to keep it going. Go ahead show your color's. I guess you are showing your morality for what you are. Hope it makes you feel like a big man. Not just juniorbeep but your accomplices too.

Love it when people show what kind of human being they truly are. Priceless!

oh relax... I'm not immoral or "bad"... but this is a bit melodramatic. Not so much the safety issues but your reaction to people. Take a deep breath and speak to BMW rather than being frustrated with us.

mindmachine said:
juniorbeep said:

I see you want to keep it going. Go ahead show your color's. I guess you are showing your morality for what you are. Hope it makes you feel like a big man. Not just juniorbeep but your accomplices too.

Yep, you're showing us exactly by example. Christianity, you're doing it wrong.

Make your own thread and stick to it.

I33t said:
mindmachine said:
juniorbeep said:

Yep, you're showing us exactly by example. Christianity, you're doing it wrong.

Make your own thread and stick to it.

You did not start this thread so take your own advice. Not to mention you are off topic again and again here .

My apologies to all of you who I may have offended and I have not taken the high road as I should of based on my beliefs. Again I am sorry.

I have been communicating with BMW for some time about my concerns/these issues.

I don't want to irritate or upset any of you anymore, but to fix this issue is going to be tough for BMW as they have put themselves technically in a box so to speak. Start changing things like SOC point and the EPA sticker would have to change too, probably even re certification.

Just like an ICE, if you're following what's going on, you don't, or shouldn't try to go that last mile to get to your destination if you're likely to run out of go-power. I just don't see the difference with the i3, REx or not...when you see it getting that low, you MUST take corrective actions. If it were an ICE and you ran out of fuel, you'd lose your power steering, your assist on your brakes, and maybe other things. With the i3 and the REx, if you haven't run both the battery and the generator out of fuel, you CAN keep going with full safety systems and assist. Is an ICE dangerous because it could run out of fuel? Be sensible.

As I've said before...even if you could turn the REx on at 75%, if you continue to use more power than the REx can generate, you will run into an even worse situation...no REx, AND no battery left.

Back