bmw apps

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danix

There's an iphone app for the i3. Is it only available with the $2500 tech/driving assist package? From playing with the 2015 config at bmwusa.com, it appears that way. I can no longer access the 2014 configs.

I have the cheapest i3 loadout possible (BEV + heated seats). The "i Remote" app works with my car.

I can query the charge status, honk the horn, lock the doors, and instruct the car to precondition itself remotely.

If there's another app, I don't know about it.

BMW's terminology is confusing. The i Remote app for mobile devices has no relationship to the BMW Apps option. The i Remote app allows the driver to monitor the vehicle and make limited adjustments remotely. BMW Apps enables phone-iDrive integration, allowing you to control your phone and display some data on the car's display.

Guys. There is an iRemote and a Connected app that gives you access to Facebook etc in the car.

The Connected app works on ICE and BEV. I know I tried it. With no changes it reports state of charge when plugged in. I think you need the tech package and it has to be in the cradle with the phone not on the 'lock' screen. When on ICE it keeps a record of trip status giving a trace of MPG. On the i3 it doesn't seem to do much except provide access to Twitter Facebook etc. a nice app is the Mseries Laptimer which gives a 'G' meter. Need to be on a track day for that maybe as it records and replays steering and throttle inputs for a lap comparison. I haven't tried that on the i3 but it does come up in the display.

The "i Remote" is specific to the i3 and I guess the i8. Enables all the remote information and commands mentioned above. Lock and headlight flash.

The "BMW Remote" provides the same facilities for ICE. Ability to send addresses straight to the nav. Unfortunately you can't have one app that covers all your vehicles although you can have all your ICE cars on one app. I suppose if you had mutiple i series cars they would also be selectable on the app. They seem to have updated to Touch ID as well since I parked up the F10.

Gonville said:
Guys. There is an iRemote and a Connected app that gives you access to Facebook etc in the car.

The Connected app works on ICE and BEV. I know I tried it. With no changes it reports state of charge when plugged in. I think you need the tech package and it has to be in the cradle with the phone not on the 'lock' screen. When on ICE it keeps a record of trip status giving a trace of MPG. On the i3 it doesn't seem to do much except provide access to Twitter Facebook etc. a nice app is the Mseries Laptimer which gives a 'G' meter. Need to be on a track day for that maybe as it records and replays steering and throttle inputs for a lap comparison. I haven't tried that on the i3 but it does come up in the display.

The "i Remote" is specific to the i3 and I guess the i8. Enables all the remote information and commands mentioned above. Lock and headlight flash..

Your screengrab is shocking... Just 29 miles of range with over 80% State of Charge??

i3MK said:
Your screengrab is shocking... Just 29 miles of range with over 80% State of Charge??
That's a norm on mine too with temps we see around here lately.

The connected app also doesn't report the correct range.
Here is a comparison of the iremote and the connected app. The iremote range is the correct value.

Is there something you need to activate in the i3 or with BMW in order to make the iRemote app work? I picked up my wife's new i3 yesterday and installed the iRemote app, but as of this morning the status shows the last update is from July 30 last year. This is a Mega REX with metallic paint and heated seats but no other options. The car has been both charged and driven since the app was installed.

Note there are different setup procedures depending upon your country/region. In North America, your dealer initiates the process on delivery day by setting up a BMW Assist account, including a password you select. Approximately 24 hours later, you initiate a call to the response center by pressing the SOS button inside the car. It's a good idea to install the "BMW i Remote - North America" app on your mobile device before making the call. The rep will ask some questions and take you through the service agreement before enabling your account. The amount of time it takes for the app to start communicating with the BMW servers varies depending upon the network conditions where you are. In my case, i Remote started working while I was still speaking with the rep.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm in the US. The dealer set up the BMW Assist account before I picked up the car yesterday, and I tried to call the response center using the SOS button when I got home, but no one answered -- hopefully that was because I didn't wait 24 hours (didn't know I was supposed to). I'll try SOS again after my wife gets home from work.

Back