Check Engine Light

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idleup said:
Rule One - only use ethanol free gas in your I3 - this fuel is just sitting there most of the time and you only want "Real" gasoline in the tank!
That's almost impossible to find in some states (mine, for example). If you can, it adds about 10% improvement in mileage on average, since it has more energy per volume than that with ethanol.

Just had the CEL come on today - solid not blinking. I'm guessing all the software updates discussed on this thread have long been addressed and fixed. I am on the current firmware. Probably not coincidence that I used the REx last night for the first time. I'll run the diag check and see if it points to any real issue and/or give it a day or so and see if it resets.
Not happy.

I've actually been having good luck running mid grade (with ethanol) fuel in my i3. I used to get tons of CEL when it was cold when the REX first started up because it had the slightest hesitation. Since the lower octane burns faster, it doesn't hesitate and I've not had any CEL.

Back