Check Engine Light

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMoloughney

Here in the US just about every i3 REx has a problem with the check engine light coming on for apparently no reason.

I'd like to hear if anyone in Europe has had the issue and also if you have an i3 REx in the US and haven't had the problem because everyone I know that has one her has had it.

I also did a blog post on the problem:
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/06/check-engine-light-mystery-plagues.html

Hi All, I am also having similar problems with my I3 with REX I bought here in Canada. For the second time in just two weeks, it is now back at the shop. I am told that BMW is sending an i-engineer to take a look at the problem. It appears to me that the engine light which according to the manual means range extender malfunction shows only when the battery is fully charged and until about 20-30% from there. Perhaps you want to check on this to see if the light appears predictably or randomly. We can then discuss about the possible reasons and as to why Europeans models do not have this problem as far as I know. I also strongly believe that the car is otherwise fine. Engline light in an EV is a misnomer just as "gas" pedal is. I think it is a message intended for European drivers but not reprogrammed fully for North America and looking as a "serious' malfunction for lack of a better alternative. Thanks. Richard Jeyaranjan.

Aparrently the issue has been identified and the dealers will begin installing a temporary software update which will correct it. Then, at some point later a permanent fix will be incorporated into the next software update. As expected there really wasn't anything wrong with the cars, just a software glitch:

10458329_718852398172400_6044673903660988865_n.jpg

Good to see it confirmed.

Now we need to know what they are saying about the Drive Train errors people are seeing. I wonder if the poster a while ago was correct who questioned if it was to do with the use or not of the handbrake when stopping and the subsequent possible torque through the drive train if the vehicle rolls back or forward if thew handbrake is not applied before shutting down. Maybe we should start a thread specific to this fault and have people describe their actions before and after the fault?

TomMoloughney said:
Aparrently the issue has been identified and the dealers will begin installing a temporary software update which will correct it. Then, at some point later a permanent fix will be incorporated into the next software update. As expected there really wasn't anything wrong with the cars, just a software glitch:

10458329_718852398172400_6044673903660988865_n.jpg

Tom what is the source of this document screen shot you posted? Thanks

TomMoloughney said:

Mine was fixed this week - apparently the software needs to be pushed from BMW NJ, which makes it a bit trickier with the time zone difference and such. They tried last week, but it took longer than they expected and I wanted the car back, so they tried again this week.

Mine started showing the light a few days ago and my dealer has me scheduled to come in - they say it can take from 2 to 3 days. Apparently because headquarters needs to be quite involved in the process. Sounds like a manual software patch. I have not had my gas generator come on yet in the vehicle, which was a question I had - if it only happened to those who have used the gas engine... nope, not the case for mine.

CompuMagic said:
Mine started showing the light a few days ago and my dealer has me scheduled to come in - they say it can take from 2 to 3 days. Apparently because headquarters needs to be quite involved in the process. Sounds like a manual software patch. I have not had my gas generator come on yet in the vehicle, which was a question I had - if it only happened to those who have used the gas engine... nope, not the case for mine.

So you do have a REX - which means that the statement that the CEL fault only effects REXes remains true. You may not have had it on, but the REX does do its own run for maintenance reasons and we don’t really know what prompts the CEL issue. Could just be triggered by a electronic self check of the systems.

Check engine software fix is being rolled out.

I had an appointment with the dealer today to update the software. Then I got a call from BMW USA telling me to schedule an appointment.

Dealer did an IRAP session with BMW USA to reprogram the car.

Dealer said they needed to purchase a high voltage DC charger for the traction battery in order to perform the service. Not sure about what that's all about. Anyway the service writeup talks about disconnecting and reconnecting the HV Battery.

No more check engine light for me.

KiloWatts said:
Check engine software fix is being rolled out.

I had an appointment with the dealer today to update the software. Then I got a call from BMW USA telling me to schedule an appointment.

Dealer did an IRAP session with BMW USA to reprogram the car.

Dealer said they needed to purchase a high voltage DC charger for the traction battery in order to perform the service. Not sure about what that's all about. Anyway the service writeup talks about disconnecting and reconnecting the HV Battery.

No more check engine light for me.
The info I got showed a 'quick fix' for both problems, but a general update will show up in the timeframe I mentioned. There may be some other things they've found that they are going to also change, but people haven't either noticed, because it's not a problem, or they are fairly obscure. And, then there may just be some tweaks they've identified to enhance the overall operation.

Since the dealer has no idea the state of charge that you'd bring the car in for service, and computers tend to like to be fully charged to do things like firmware updates, it makes sense that they'd want to be able to get the thing fully charged in a relatively short timeframe, regardless of how you brought it in, otherwise, it could throw their whole schedule off. If the required power is not available at the dealership's service department, that could complicate things quite a bit! About a month ago, I'd asked my service manager about the fast chargers, and he said then that BMW had not come out with a recommended one, so they were not thinking about one until that happened. That may have changed.

Hi,
I was born electric on June 21st for a REX in San Diego, CA. My check engine light went on June 28th and has not gone off yet.
I know I only used the REX once in the short time I had the car but the engine light still stayed on.
I decided to run the battery down again on 7/6 and see how the REX performed - it was just like the first time it ran.
Engine light stayed on the whole time and is still on.
By reading the blogs on this site, I was not worried about engine damage to my car.

Today, Thurs July 10th, I got a call from BMW North America, they have a software update for my car regarding the engine light issue for the REX as soon as I can get into the service department. They said there is no real problem with the REX engine.

I have an appointment for next week to have them load new software. (They estimated this to take about an hour)
This is supposed to correct the engine light problem for the REX.
I am not aware of any other software bug fix in this update but I will be sure to see if there is anything else included.

I will keep you posted next week.

Thanks, Frannie M3 i3

I got that same call on Thursday.

Funny thing was my car was at the dealer being reprogrammed while BMW called. Asked the BMW USA guy and the dealer if this was a temporary patch or the a real fix. Both said this was the real fix. Was told I won't have to bring it back again to fix the CEL issue. Dealer was not so optimistic that this would be the last software update the car will need for other issues.

Funny thing the 2014 328 courtesy car they gave me for two days felt very old fashioned and cramped after driving an i3 REX for 3 weeks.

Other than fixing the CEL I didn't notice any other differences after the software update.

Hawaii i3, REX. Delivery was delayed 3 days due to the check engine light. The light illuminated during the delivery check but the software was unavailable (not at the local dealer, and after hours to obtain from the mainland office --- very bad form).

My Rex CEL patch was done last week. Took 3 days to have the work completed. Issue has not re-appeared. The only advice the dealer gave me was always bring it in on a Monday...since it will take some time when software patching or upgrading is required. I guess BMW will get better (and faster) at this. It would seem to me that they will have to or there will be a line out the shop door if it always takes 3 days!
The problem I have with the time it takes to complete the work is that my car has HOV carpool access here in California ... and the BMW loaner car does not. Perhaps they will also provide me with a chauffeur in the future so I can access the HOV lane for my 80 miles round trip everyday!

I too received a call from BMW iConcierge yesterday afternoon informing me of the software update. The update is supposed to take 3 to 4 hours. The car goes in next Wednesday.

I've had the CEL for 80% of the days that I've driving the car in two weeks of ownership.

Mine was patched in 2 days. Picked it up today. Was told that Germany actually remoted into the vehicle to do it. Noticed something I had not seen before - not sure if it was related to the update and will make a new post about it. CEL issue seems to be gone.

Picked up my i3 REx yesterday and within 40 miles of all electric driving the CEL came on.

I spoke with the tech today. He recommended that I run down the battery to the point where the RE comes on and then run the RE for 20 miles. He thinks that this may turn the CEL off.

Any experience with this?

Back