Coding Anti-Dazzle and Variable Light Distribution

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so after a little bit more digging I do not think we know enough to pull this off. It's been said the 5AP and S84 must be deleted from the Vehicle Order or FA before they can be coded. I have no idea if that is even a factor. It is also being said the front facing camera in the rear view mirror must also be coded which Makes sense but I have not seen any coding lines except for KAFAS which makes my head spin.

There is only one video I found 2 years old for coding VLD using bimmercode which modifies all 5 lines identified. 3-Alohart and the additional 2 I found. But this is for a BMW with Xenon headlights and only Variable Light Distribution. Nothing on Anti Dazzle.

I hope this gets figured out but it seems likely that it takes more than three lines of code to change 5AP and S84 in our cars. In the meantime I'll keep looking

Here's the VLD YouTube video. I don't think this has already been posted.

Lito

The interesting part in this video is he's not just changing whats checkmarked, but adding in a numerical code with that change.

And in the other video, removing 8S4 and 5AP in the VO coding might be the missing link for all of us just using Bimmercode... I have an OBD-to-ethernet cable, guess i could try and get ESYS (or ISTA?)... I don't know what all is involved in that :unsure:

Last edited:
The interesting part in this video is he's not just changing whats checkmarked, but adding in a numerical code with that change.

And in the other video, removing 8S4 and 5AP in the VO coding might be the missing link for all of us just using Bimmercode... I have an OBD-to-ethernet cable, guess i could try and get ESYS (or ISTA?)... I don't know what all is involved in that :unsure:
yeah, it is clear Esys inserts coding which is missing. When I was making the previously posted coding changes in Bimmercode I would go back to the vehicle info and there was no change in 5AP or S84. So now I know why.

In the first video, he says you need to remove 5AP and S84 from the VO/FA file. I didn't understand that until I watched the second video. Then it made sense.

my only concern is making a coding change to the front facing camera, KAFAS and messing something up with the car's other features like adaptive cruise control. But maybe ESYS is smart enough to keep this from happening? I don't know.

If you notice in the second video, he makes a back up, saves frequently and runs the programming checks to make sure everything is good.

L

you are exactly right. Bimmecode can make changes to the code, but SOMETHING else needs to write and insert that code.

ESYS to write and insert code (unless it's already there????)
Bimmercode to configure once the code is written

L

Last edited:

So I have an idea:
using Esys, modify the VO file ONLY removing 5AP and 8S4 and write to the car. Check to make sure those codes are gone

1. download Esys
2.read VO and make a backup
3.edit the original FA file
4.delete 5AP and 8S4 from the file and save
5. write the new file to your vehicle and check the file to make sure changes were made

Then use Bimmercode to code the following for VLD
3073 LaMaster1-C_AFS_ENA
3073 LaMaster1-LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y
3073 LaMaster1-C_HBA_ENA
3073 LaMaster1-C_HBA_GRHB_ENA
3073 LaMaster1-C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA

See what happens :)

The reason I suggest this is we DO NOT know what modules and what lines to change to enable Anti-Dazzle on the BMW i3. We know the above lines could work on the i3 like other BMW's. I think we may need to hang out on the BMW Coding forums to see if we can find an I3 owner who has already done this.

What do you think?

L

Last edited:

Look at this guy, posts a 23 second video on Youtube and walks away.

Janz Huang, where the heck are you?

I don't see anything different in this video that our cars don't already do... thats just the auto-levelling self-check upon start up...?

So I have an idea:
using Esys, modify the VO file ONLY removing 5AP and 8S4 and write to the car. Check to make sure those codes are gone

1. download Esys
2.read VO and make a backup
3.edit the original FA file, SALAPA - Element
4.delete 5AP and 8S4 from the file and save
5. write the new file to your vehicle and check the file to make sure changes were made

Then use Bimmercode to code the following for VLD
3073 LaMaster1-C_AFS_ENA
3073 LaMaster1-LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y
3073 LaMaster1-C_HBA_ENA
3073 LaMaster1-C_HBA_GRHB_ENA
3073 LaMaster1-C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA

See what happens :)

The reason I suggest this is we DO NOT know what modules and what lines to change to enable Anti-Dazzle on the BMW i3. We know the above lines could work on the i3 like other BMW's. I think we may need to hang out on the BMW Coding forums to see if we can find an I3 owner who has already done this.

What do you think?

L
The three HBA codes are anti-dazzle 5AP... the AFS and LUT_FLC are 8S4

The three HBA codes are anti-dazzle 5AP... the AFS and LUT_FLC are 8S4
That is my interpretation as well. However, I don't have a clue about this stuff, so my interpretation isn't worth much.

My theory is that adding 5AP and 8S4 are high-level VO changes that each include several parameter value changes. If true, changing the parameter values included in 5AP and 8S4 using BimmerCode should accomplish what we want. 5AP and 8S4 would still be in the VO despite the parameter values having been changed by BimmerCode because BimmerCode can't modify the VO. I.e., changing the VO changes parameter values but changing parameter values doesn't change the VO.

That is my interpretation as well. However, I don't have a clue about this stuff, so my interpretation isn't worth much.

My theory is that adding 5AP and 8S4 are high-level VO changes that each include several parameter value changes. If true, changing the parameter values included in 5AP and 8S4 using BimmerCode should accomplish what we want. 5AP and 8S4 would still be in the VO despite the parameter values having been changed by BimmerCode because BimmerCode can't modify the VO. I.e., changing the VO changes parameter values but changing parameter values doesn't change the VO.
Well, so far that doesn't seem to be the case? Otherwise changing the 5 lines of code should have done it by now. I still think you need to remove 5AP and 8S4 from the VO.

We don't know what or how those codes in the VO impact the down stream ECU's/modules. It's possible the coding is there and disabled but will never work if the VO keeps telling the car "you don't have this feature"

I have a friend who is a computer wiz and knows BMW's but he's in Brasil right now for work. I'll ping him when he returns.

L

Last edited:
Ya it feels strange that 8S4/5AP need to be physically removed from the VO, but perhaps their presence were causing my issues... because yes, changing the codes changes the behaviour of the lights, but they were definitely not behaving properly... so maybe it's confusing to the car that it has North American-spec VO codes but European-spec coding parameters so it doesn't know exactly what to do with the anti-glare matrixing. I'm assuming that a Euro-spec car doesn't have anything in the VO regarding VLD and GFHB matrixing, so any light assembly that BMW calls "Adaptive" has VLD/GFHB by default.

Last edited:
Ya it feels strange that 8S4/5AP need to be physically removed from the VO, but perhaps their presence were causing my issues... because yes, changing the codes changes the behaviour of the lights, but they were definitely not behaving properly... so maybe it's confusing to the car that it has North American-spec VO codes but European-spec coding parameters so it doesn't know exactly what to do with the anti-glare matrixing. I'm assuming that a Euro-spec car doesn't have anything in the VO regarding VLD and GFHB matrixing, so any light assembly that BMW calls "Adaptive" has VLD/GFHB by default.
Well, it's worth a shot I don't know what else to try. We've already found how to code it with ESYS and it involves removing those files. I've been googling and searching 5AP and 8S4 and I think removing them is the right direction.

L

Hey SSi3
A few things I picked up:

1. The Front Electronics Control Module (for headlights) is affected by the BDC Body Domain Controller so there is no coding necessary for each headlight module. See acronym descriptions below

3073 LaMaster1-C_AdaptiveFrontlightingSystem_ENA
3073 LaMaster1-LUT_ForwardLookingCamera_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y
3073 LaMaster1-C_HighBeamAssistant_ENA

2.Every single post, thread in every BMW forum starts the same way: you can't use Bimmercode, and you must use Esys

3.Every single post, thread in every BMW forum says the same: You must REMOVE 5AP and 8S4 from the Vehicle Order file to enable this feature

So I have a lingering question: Is it possible that coding the ECU with the modified VO file puts lines of code not yet identified? or are the three above all there is? I can't find anything but the two additional lines dealing with xenon headlights which don't apply to us.

L

Well I missed a lot. I do agree there is something we are missing however here's an update on my car, I got the time to adjust my headlights left to right per ECE standards. Tonight will be my first night with a lot of traffic but I think the tunnel is working correctly from the few cars I was around after aiming. Cars also haven't been flashing me anymore. Looking at eBay UK I found LHD ECE lights but the shipping is a lot just to test I'd they make a difference.

Last edited:
Well I missed a lot. I do agree there is something we are missing however here's an update on my car, I got the time to adjust my headlights left to right per ECE standards. Tonight will be my first night with a lot of traffic but I think the tunnel is working correctly from the few cars I was around after aiming. Cars also haven't been flashing me anymore. Looking at eBay UK I found LHD ECE lights but the shipping is a lot just to test I'd they make a difference.
In what way did you adjust your lights?

In what way did you adjust your lights?
I adjusted left to right alignment. My passenger side light was pointed too far left. When I was behind cars before I could see the high beam on them from the right headlight and now it isn't doing that. Watching it more driving home from work I can confirm my car is not making a tunnel for cars directly in front of me. As soon as they move off center it starts to make a dark spot for them. (I'm sure my coworkers love being the test subjects.) The summary of ECE aiming is to mark out the center of your headlights (vertical and horizontal)on a wall and back up roughly 25ft. The side to side aiming is controlled by the low spot if the cut off. It should be aligned with the centerline of the headlight. Vertical alignment is 2% drop for the US. DOT regulation doesn't necessarily require the horizontal alignment of headlights like ours and that's why they usually have a lockout cap in the adjustment screw.

I adjusted left to right alignment. My passenger side light was pointed too far left. When I was behind cars before I could see the high beam on them from the right headlight and now it isn't doing that. Watching it more driving home from work I can confirm my car is not making a tunnel for cars directly in front of me. As soon as they move off center it starts to make a dark spot for them. (I'm sure my coworkers love being the test subjects.) The summary of ECE aiming is to mark out the center of your headlights (vertical and horizontal)on a wall and back up roughly 25ft. The side to side aiming is controlled by the low spot if the cut off. It should be aligned with the centerline of the headlight. Vertical alignment is 2% drop for the US. DOT regulation doesn't necessarily require the horizontal alignment of headlights like ours and that's why they usually have a lockout cap in the adjustment screw.
Is the adjustment screw robust? I installed HID's on my MK4 Jetta and if you snapped the plastic adjustment screw you were done

Is the adjustment screw robust? I installed HID's on my MK4 Jetta and if you snapped the plastic adjustment screw you were done
Mine didn't have the cap in them. They are really easy to move, if you're applying enough force to snap it you're doing something wrong.

Watching it more driving home from work I can confirm my car is not making a tunnel for cars directly in front of me. As soon as they move off center it starts to make a dark spot for them.
So they still aren't working properly then if they aren't making a tunnel for cars directly in front... same behaviour as mine.

Back