Confused by the regen numbers

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livestrong191

So if I went 4.3 miles and I only used 3.9 mi/kWh and My recuperation is 12.4 mil/kWh , how come my electric mileage on the screen does not go up, if I am give back to the battery more than I use .

I am sorry if this is asked before. I am a new owner

As I understand it, on the regen, you got regeneration at the amount of 1Kw at the rate you achieved, by driving 12.4 miles (IOW, you'd have to drive 12.4 miles to have gained back a kw). SO, since your trip was much shorter than that, maybe about 1/3 of that 12.4 miles, you actually put about 333W back into the battery during your drive.

Now, I could be all wet. It's best to anticipate things and coast when you need to slow down, letting friction slow the car verses regen (which means you used too much energy to keep going when you didn't need to!), thus no regeneration at all. Running at a steady speed with little to no regeneration may mean 20-30m/kw of regen. If I'm interpreting it properly...a bigger number is actually better since you're driving smoother and coasting more. Regen is never going to be as efficient as steady state or coasting. I often see the readout in that range.

Back