Has anyone lemoned their i3 yet?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been leasing an all-electric i3 since 11/2014, putting on close to 10,000mi. The car has been at the dealer a total of over 40 days suffering from plug-lock hardware failures, driver restraint system malfunction, multiple front-collision/pedestrian detection errors, usable mileage/range errors, charging problems (it’s not fun having an unusable car in the morning) to even it thinking I had a malfunction in the sunroof, which is only offered in other countries but not here in the US.

Currently it’s been at the dealer for over two weeks where it’ll soon be getting a software update directly from Germany that isn’t released to the US market yet, which may or may not fix the charging issue according to the techs.

I've owned 9 BMWs and have 1 on order but unfortunately with my myriad of problems I’ll need to pursue lemoning my i3 and have already been in touch with BMW to start the process but have not heard back from them yet. Has anyone had any success based on their problems?

Mine is eligible, but I love the car. I only had one incident which took just shy of 30 days to repair. If I get another big issue, I may ask them to buy it back and wait for i3 2.0. Btw, I had 4500 miles and 6 months on the clock before the first and only problem cropped up. When I broached the subject with the dealer and iconcierge, they were more than willing to start the procedure to buy it back.

There have been posters here who have gotten replacement cars from BMW, but I don't think anyone has gone through the Lemon Law process yet. Where are you and do you know your cars build date?

From what I've heard, and that may not be very complete, those that have approached BMW, BMW bought the vehicle back rather than having to be forced to via the local lemon laws.

WoodlandHills said:
There have been posters here who have gotten replacement cars from BMW, but I don't think anyone has gone through the Lemon Law process yet. Where are you and do you know your cars build date?

Hi WoodlandHills,

I'm in the SF Bay Area, Production Date is: 2014-05-26

Latest posts

Back