How many miles do you have on your i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tjburbach said:
33,000 miles on my 2014 REX, it had around 16k when I bought it as a CPO last year. The only repair was an new climate control panel under warranty, the A/C LED was failing.

CP361 said:
2015 BEV 34k miles , no issues other than what appears to be a burnt out bulb associated with the recirculation switch for air con :D

We have almost the same amount of miles now, as I just passed 36,000 today!

I test drove a couple of i3s before getting the car I did. All of the cars I test drove*, including the car I currently have now, all have had some weird gremlin with the climate control panel LEDs. In my car, when the car is cold started, the LEDs will occasionally flicker on and off. It goes away after a minute or so, and all of my indicators work. YMMV, but I have a feeling that the climate control panel will eventually need replacing.

On an somewhat unrelated note, since the windows go up and down every time you open the door, I bet the window regulators will need replacing sooner rather than later.

*In fact, the climate control panel acting wonky is what kept me from purchasing an i3 I drove and liked. In the end it was for the best, as I feel like I got a better car (right paint color, right upgrade packages) as well as a set of snow tires as part of the deal. The control panel on that car had actual issues, mine just occasionally flickers on a cold start.

jlangham said:
2014 BEV with just over 60k miles. Interior still looks brand new and I'm the third owner. Mine is Certified Pre-Owned (CPO). My battery is showing some signs of wear, but still get good range when I drive it correctly (not driving it like I stole it!). Love the car and for what it's intended for.
On my Giga world, the steering wheel (paint maybe?) is showing wear on the top. The actual leather seems fine, no other wear spots though, but I noticed on my friends Mega world, that the grey sensatec on the drivers side seat (where a lot of people slide on and off) is showing some wear from when it gets compressed.

Many cars, including my ICE BMW move the windows down when opening the door. This is fairly common with frameless windows if you want them to seal when closed. So far, no issues with them.

For i3 rex owners, why would people want to eventually sell the car and get a new one.
I mean, which part of the car will break down or trouble ( say at 200k miles) , causing people to need a new one ?

I have the 94h rex, and cant think of a reason, which will make me buy a new one.
Loss of range upto even 40% should not be an issue . The body should not deteriorate.

The only issue i can think of is the rex repair cost , if it breaks down, but its rarely used.

I had 47,550 miles on my i3 before I returned my lease. I didn't have any problems except a couple of recalls on it. I just bought the i3s and love it.

TheMK said:
tjburbach said:
33,000 miles on my 2014 REX, it had around 16k when I bought it as a CPO last year. The only repair was an new climate control panel under warranty, the A/C LED was failing.

CP361 said:
2015 BEV 34k miles , no issues other than what appears to be a burnt out bulb associated with the recirculation switch for air con :D

tjburbach said:
We have almost the same amount of miles now, as I just passed 36,000 today!

I test drove a couple of i3s before getting the car I did. All of the cars I test drove*, including the car I currently have now, all have had some weird gremlin with the climate control panel LEDs. In my car, when the car is cold started, the LEDs will occasionally flicker on and off. It goes away after a minute or so, and all of my indicators work. YMMV, but I have a feeling that the climate control panel will eventually need replacing.

On an somewhat unrelated note, since the windows go up and down every time you open the door, I bet the window regulators will need replacing sooner rather than later.

*In fact, the climate control panel acting wonky is what kept me from purchasing an i3 I drove and liked. In the end it was for the best, as I feel like I got a better car (right paint color, right upgrade packages) as well as a set of snow tires as part of the deal. The control panel on that car had actual issues, mine just occasionally flickers on a cold start.

On the issue of the climate control, it appears it wasn't a bad bulb after all. The car is still under warranty (another 6 months) so I did take it in and they have replaced the entire module. It is called "IHKA Controls" PA: 641025 ? I looked it up and it is something like $800.00 for the part alone! Lordy... I purchased an extended 3 year warranty specifically for all those electrical bits including, hopefully, window switches. I thought the warranty was a little pricey.. but after this covered repair I realize it may come in handy ;). I do enjoy the car especially out here in the Burbs. And so far the exterior hasn't gotten those nasty door dings as a result of my use of Park & Rides and shopping parking lots. You can't dent plastic! , You can scratch the paint of course, and was one of the main reason I chose this car over the Mercedes B250e.

Just sold my 2015 I3 BEV (Terra World) 47,000 miles.. I purchased used in 2018. Aircon compressor replaced under warranty, CCS/J1772 plug was replaced twice as the pin failed to actuate which means no fast charging. 1st time under warranty second time out of pocket. The motor seemed like it was getting noisy as compared with its replacement (the car I replaced it with). I thought I would like more range and did not want to own w/o a drive train warranty, so I picked up a 2018 I3s BEV (Fluid black). Good decision, motor whisper quiet and I like the lower wider stance. I really like these cars perfect for my lifestyle mostly suburban and city with a few trips on the winding mountain roads to Mt Baker Washington. Hoping they make one more range upgrade but will replace this one with a 2021 in 3 years.

CP361 said:
On the issue of the climate control, it appears it wasn't a bad bulb after all. The car is still under warranty (another 6 months) so I did take it in and they have replaced the entire module.
There are no bulbs in the climate control module; the lighting is provided by LED's. These LED's are soldered to the module board. Some i3 owners have repaired the module by unsoldering the bad LED's and then soldering new LED's. The parts cost was negligible.

Unfortunately, BMW doesn't replace bad LED's but only replaces the entire expensive module. This seems to be common practice with electronic modules which is a shame.

alohart said:
CP361 said:
On the issue of the climate control, it appears it wasn't a bad bulb after all. The car is still under warranty (another 6 months) so I did take it in and they have replaced the entire module.
There are no bulbs in the climate control module; the lighting is provided by LED's. These LED's are soldered to the module board. Some i3 owners have repaired the module by unsoldering the bad LED's and then soldering new LED's. The parts cost was negligible.

Unfortunately, BMW doesn't replace bad LED's but only replaces the entire expensive module. This seems to be common practice with electronic modules which is a shame.

The use of the term "Bulb" was indeed inaccurate. I have since replaced this vehicle with an I3s.

Cheers!

Back