Interior rattling on rough terrain

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpeet79

Hi,

My i3 rex has two rattling sounds when driving on rough terrain. In the frontleft somewhere from the dashboard and in the rear right. It is really annoying and i was wondering if i should accept his from bmw? Anyone else who has this problem?

Our 2004 645 doe not rattle at all!

Regards,

Henry

Mine has a sound like unsecured wires are tapping against the carbon/plastic structure that sounds sort of like fingernails tapping a hollow body guitar. It's hard to describe and I can only really hear it on the sharper bumps and especially when the wheels are skittering over badly broken pavement, then the whole car rattles. I honestly did not expect this in such an expensive car, but the service tech said that it was normal for the model. As a comparison, my 2008 low mileage smart Cabrio has less rattles over the same roads, the ride is not as good due to the short wheelbase and terrible transmission, but it is a tighter feeling vehicle than the BMW.

I assume this is the sort of thing that will get improved in the Mk2 version in 2 or 3 years when they do the facelift.

Yes it is indeed not what i expected from this car. I'll also inform my dealer about it to see what they have to say about it. The sound i have is like plastic parts rubbing against eachother, annoying really. The road is just a brick road where it happens and als when turning sharp corners.

Driving home tonight after 6 months ownership I started having a tapping sound on bumps like loose wires from under the dash opposite the steering wheel. I didn't have it driving in this morning, nor did I have it at any time since September.

Did anyone who was experiencing this problem find out what it was and what needed to be done to get it to go away again!?

i have a vibration/buzzing noise from behind the dash that started after about 6 months/ 5k miles

only on rough roads

seems to be temperature related ...

now that the days are warming up the noise has stopped

:|

FWIW, many of the routes for cables in the i3 are molded into the CFRP rather than added on clamps. Don't know whether that's an issue or not, but it may be. So far, mine's quiet.

If you are getting buzzing in the dash, check the 2 plastic pieces that cover the bolts on either side of the front window vents. You have to reach way up towards the window to check them - basically impossible while driving. You can get those pieces replaced (they simply pop out), or pop one out and put a small piece of tape of the tab to make them just a hair tighter.

Back