Ordered Mine And Joined The Board

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

I ordered my Ionic Silver i3 Tera World on February 17th. I selected all of the available options except the 20" tires.

I thought I would share my experience. I have to admit I had no interest in purchasing the i3. I have been aware of it for a while and I have read a bit about it mostly out of my interest in technology. (I preordered a Segway when they were first available) I got a call from my salesman at Alexander BMW in downtown Los Angeles inviting me to a test drive event. I have purchased 6 or 7 beemers from the same salesman over many years and we have a great relationship. I told him I would try to make it. I did make the long drive up to LA for a test drive. I have to emphasize I honestly had no interest in buying an i3. I was more interested in the technology and I thought it would be the only time I would drive one. My salesman was very knowledgeable about the car and technology easily answering my questions. I signed in and I was given the keys and a map of the suggested route. I was walked out to the car and we spent a few minutes going over the features and operation of the vehicle. I was impressed immediately with the quality of the materials and the overall finish of the car. Off I went. I was shocked by the great ride. It took only a few seconds to realize the i3 is as exciting a BMW as my beloved 2013 650i convertible. I ended up driving the car way past the suggested route and had a great time with it. I pictured the salesman standing out on the curb looking up and down the street wondering if I would ever return their i3. This was my first electric car driving experience and I was hooked in an instant. I loved the torque, handling, the silent ride and the technology. It was really fun to drive! A big bonus, for most of us lucky enough to live in Southern California is helping the environment whenever possible and reducing my contribution to air pollution. I returned to the dealership and told the salesman I wanted one. I expect to have it in May and with premium gas now over $4/gal I can't wait. I'm now reading and learning everything I can find about the i3, electric cars and chargers.

Harry said:
I ordered my Ionic Silver i3 Tera World on February 17th. I selected all of the available options except the 20" tires.

I thought I would share my experience. I have to admit I had no interest in purchasing the i3. I have been aware of it for a while and I have read a bit about it mostly out of my interest in technology. (I preordered a Segway when they were first available) I got a call from my salesman at Alexander BMW in downtown Los Angeles inviting me to a test drive event. I have purchased 6 or 7 beemers from the same salesman over many years and we have a great relationship. I told him I would try to make it. I did make the long drive up to LA for a test drive. I have to emphasize I honestly had no interest in buying an i3. I was more interested in the technology and I thought it would be the only time I would drive one. My salesman was very knowledgeable about the car and technology easily answering my questions. I signed in and I was given the keys and a map of the suggested route. I was walked out to the car and we spent a few minutes going over the features and operation of the vehicle. I was impressed immediately with the quality of the materials and the overall finish of the car. Off I went. I was shocked by the great ride. It took only a few seconds to realize the i3 is as exciting a BMW as my beloved 2013 650i convertible. I ended up driving the car way past the suggested route and had a great time with it. I pictured the salesman standing out on the curb looking up and down the street wondering if I would ever return their i3. This was my first electric car driving experience and I was hooked in an instant. I loved the torque, handling, the silent ride and the technology. It was really fun to drive! A big bonus, for most of us lucky enough to live in Southern California is helping the environment whenever possible and reducing my contribution to air pollution. I returned to the dealership and told the salesman I wanted one. I expect to have it in May and with premium gas now over $4/gal I can't wait. I'm now reading and learning everything I can find about the i3, electric cars and chargers.

Congratulations Harry! We look forward to you participating in the conversations here. If you are on Facebook, you may want to join the BMW i3 Facebook group also. Between this forum and the Facebook group you should get mostly all the i3 information you need!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/

Hi Harry,

This mirrors my experience exactly, had no desire to buy one just fancied a go as I'm both a geek and a designer so was attracted from both sides.

One drive and I was hooked, makes my 3 litre Z4 feel like it's from the Stone Age. I have told a couple of mates and they think I'm mad as they know I am (was?) a petrolhead, I have just told them to wait till they go in it before they pass judgement!

Similar experience to mine. I took on a test drive as I was interested in the tech. Thought it was so good that I convinced my reluctant wife to go for a test drive and by the end she was insisting we bought one! I too am leaving a 3.5 Z4 behind!!

However, am frustrated that a uk order made in Jan 14 will not arrive until around Sept whereas in the states a Feb order comes in May!!

Cool story. My experience differed a bit. Like Harry, I am a tech guy so I liked the technical aspects of the i3. I have been holding out hope for a true electric car since I drove the GM EV1 in 1996 (lease was too expensive as the kids were young!).

I was invited to the test drive, but I am waaay out east in LA County so I went to Ontario BMW. The guys there knew very little about it. I had to ride with a know-nothing sales guy on a short jaunt around the flat industrial buildings.

But even in that short ride (see post with pictures / video through Google Glass - https://plus.google.com/110113915393251652573/posts/EUnVkqiJWtq), I really liked the handling and the BMW feel (I have owned three 3 series, one current 2012).

Anyway, having almost no info I could not order one or even get the details I thought I'd call the dealer I have bought my last 2 BMWs from, Bob Smith in Calabasas just north of LA. Got the info from them and began finding out what options might be available. Just this week they determined that you had to get one fully loaded (only can choose paint and optional 20" wheels), so I took the plunge. Living in hot California I have no need for heated seats (got 'em on my 328i and never use them), a better stereo (stream music from the internet at 126 kbps anyway), or the parking package (parallel park is not hard). I know RESELL value, so I got over myself and get the Laurel grey and kept the 19" wheels because I think the fins or whatever they are in the 20s look odd. So I ordered YESTERDAY and await the magic production number I have heard about to track.

I must say one aspect that sold me was the totally new way they make this car and all of the recycling thought that went into it. So saving gas is one aspect, but the sustainable aspects are very attractive to me.

Back