percentage of charge not range

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniorbeep

I'd like the state of battery displayed in percentage terms please. The range left is kind of helpful but I find looking at the trip computer (especially on longer journeys) seeing how far I've driven on the trip and then looking at the charge left a much better indication of my range than the predictive range display... I want to be able to toggle between percentage of charge left and range :)

juniorbeep said:
I'd like the state of battery displayed in percentage terms please. The range left is kind of helpful but I find looking at the trip computer (especially on longer journeys) seeing how far I've driven on the trip and then looking at the charge left a much better indication of my range than the predictive range display... I want to be able to toggle between percentage of charge left and range :)
This has been discussed a lot here and on other sites. I believe BMW is going to add the state of charge display in a future software update.

TomMoloughney said:
juniorbeep said:
This has been discussed a lot here and on other sites. I believe BMW is going to add the state of charge display in a future software update.

Hooray! Do you mean there will be an actual EV that will finally display SOC once more? It's so much more practical to use SOC % rather than the highly-variable trip range estimator. Don't get me wrong--remaining distance estimation has its place, but it's more standardized to say that you got, say, +6% SOC per hour of charging on Level 1 or 8 miles of range per 10% SOC used. (Sorry, I'm an old-school EV guy.)

The percent of charge is available on the i3 app, but I only have a WiFi enabled tablet, so can't see if it will work while driving, but it does work fine to remotely monitor the SOC.

jadnashuanh said:
The percent of charge is available on the i3 app, but I only have a WiFi enabled tablet, so can't see if it will work while driving, but it does work fine to remotely monitor the SOC.
Yes, I'm aware of SOC being available on the app. I've updated it while driving, but it's certainly inconvenient and it might have not updated once while I did that. The Honda Fit EV has an amusing separate keyfob that I use just to check the SOC while driving.

I just am baffled why the OEMs think that we don't need this number on the dash while driving, and yet provide it via an app.

Back