Traffic jam assist retro

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am defintely interested in buying your module!
My i3 is a 2014 REx with all stock options (i.e. ACC, parking assist, pedestrian detection etc. on board). I have an OBD cable and laptop but would need coding instructions.
Thanks!

Hi. I am also extremely interested! Looking forward to hearing details.

What more can you tell us about how your module works? What is the interface with the car? Pros/cons to its operation? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

RGloverii said:
Hi. I am also extremely interested! Looking forward to hearing details.

What more can you tell us about how your module works? What is the interface with the car? Pros/cons to its operation? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

I am trying to get a separate website up to better host questions and show videos, photos, etc.. I plan to post some videos as soon as I get a chance to get on the road during rush-hour. As far as your specific questions:

What is the interface with the car?
>> The module is connected via (switched) power, ground, and data connection.

Pros/cons to its operation
>> Pros:
1) The price will be significantly cheaper than a the cost of the OEM components.
2) You will not have to mess around with removing your airbag.
2) You will not need to remove the dashboard trim to route the otherwise necessary wires from the footwell to the steering column.
3) The module uses all of BMW's original TJA system, meaning you still get the warning chimes when the system needs to alert you of hazardous road conditions.
4) The module is easily uninstalle/disabled (I'll probably just add an off switch) so that if you bring your car in for service, the BMW computers will not complain about it. (If BMW updates your software, the part-replacement retrofit will cause BMW software to complain that there is an invalid part in the car).

>>Cons:
1) Because this system is considered an "assistant", the driver is still responsible in the event of an accident. So even though you can remove your hands from the wheel, you should not be tempted to do so since the driver is still responsible in the event of an 'at-fault' accident.
2) Because this is technically an 'after-market' part, insurance companies may try and swing an at-fault accident (rear ending someone) to be as a result of the modification and therefore not provide coverage. (I'm a bit skeptical though because TJA is available on some BMWs and this module does not alter the way TJA controls the car).
3) It will be harder to get out of driving your friends around since you won't really be the one driving anyways.

Thank you for the detail oriented response.

Sounds like you have come up with a highly desirous upgrade for i3 owners!

I look forward to seeing the videos and pictures of your creation and remain seriously interested in the module.

Thanks again.

Okay, so I finally had a chance to take a couple videos of the system in action. For your viewing pleasure:

Photo showin max TJA speed with coding (please keep in mind that the internal TJA controls were tuned for speeds below 36 mph)
IMG_0579.jpg

TJA enabled but not active
IMG_0582.jpg

TJA enabled and active (notice the steering wheel icon)
IMG_0585.jpg

This video shows the system working despite the vehicle in front of me making a lane change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eX8d7UxZFs

Very cool. Impressive that you were able to accomplish this.

So what are your anticipated next steps and timing?

I think it’s safe to say you have multiple interested parties at the stated ~$300 price point.

Thanks,

-Robert

shehadehd, count me in, I would love this! My dad is a EE and could help me build a module as well if you provided a schematic or sent me in the right direction. Can’t wait!

For this price point count me in as well. Amazing. Care to go in detail how you bypassed all the hardware requirements? I'm a bit concerned that not having the OEM hardware may cause the TJA not to work as intended by BMW.

boomerE30 said:
For this price point count me in as well. Amazing. Care to go in detail how you bypassed all the hardware requirements? I'm a bit concerned that not having the OEM hardware may cause the TJA not to work as intended by BMW.

Thank you!

I did not make any changes to the controls behind how TJA operates nor did I modify any of the controlling hardware. Furthermore, if the system determines the road is unsuitable for TJA, it will flash the TJA steering wheel icon read, warn the user with an audible chirp, and then deactivate.

"Unsuitable" conditions include: lane too narrow or not detected, exiting from highway to surface streets, excessive light glare on KAFAS camera, KAFAS unit dirty or foggy, vehicle in front of you no longer detected.

NOTE: The unmodified TJA will deactivate if the user removes their hands from the steering wheel for too long, TJA enabled by this module will NOT deactivate in this case.

Excellent! So my understanding is that the self driving system remains OEM while being able to take out the "annoying" part - the requirement of having the wheel on the steering wheel.

One last thing, Bimmercode app allows to code the TAJ to operate at a higher speed (76km I think?) as well as to code it to operate on back roads. Seeing that you are not changing anything, this should be possible to code I suppose?

boomerE30 said:
Excellent! So my understanding is that the self driving system remains OEM while being able to take out the "annoying" part - the requirement of having the wheel on the steering wheel.

One last thing, Bimmercode app allows to code the TAJ to operate at a higher speed (76km I think?) as well as to code it to operate on back roads. Seeing that you are not changing anything, this should be possible to code I suppose?

I am currently working on a write-up to allow you to enable TJA via bimmercode rather than having to get a hold of e-sys. However, there are a couple ECUs that bimmercode doesn't appear to support and so I'm trying to figure out if it's even doable. But to answer your question, yes, you can code those changes.

I have played around with enabling TJA on back roads. it works, but usually back roads have thinner lanes and the TJA system will complain about them (it also really hates intersections). However, on service roads, it works just fine.
I've also played around with enabling it for, effectively, all speeds (up to 99mph) and I do NOT recommend it over 45ish mph. It appears that the controller have been tuned specifically for low speeds and the update-rate isn't fast enough to make minor adjustments at high speed and so the car oscillates back and forth within the lane. It also will not be able to track through larger bends and veers out of its lane. Basically, it's much more stressful at high speeds than just driving yourself lol.

From a required options perspective. From what I can tell if you have acc through the tech package you have kasfa camera. Is there a requirement to have pack assist? I'd imagine tja would need to move the wheel to steer the car; For those of us that do not have the park assist, do you know if the parts are there to move the wheel? I would love to get this module but don't want to get my hopes up. Thanks

Back