UK Order v Delivery Dates

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndiC said:
elptex said:
AndiC said:
Yeah...live in sunny Glasgow (so plenty of free charging points)
My order seems to have matched a cancellation...so probably just lucky (i3 Rex in white)
Dealership is hinting at a mid June hand over.

I was just about to mention that you have probably picked up a cancellation, now what would be interesting is whether its been built already or whether it is yet to be built? The BMW policy is not to transfer cancelled orders (still to be built) to new customers although some dealers have done it. If this is the case then in theory you could change spec before it goes into production.

Mezzadm said:
My BEV is due for delivery tomorrow. Ordered December

Hey.. exiting times, let us know what you think and your experiences... Had my BEV for 2 weeks (1200 miles) now its awesome.

AndiC said:
elptex said:
AndiC said:
I paid my deposit for the i3 on the 7th May and just got my email saying that my car has been assembled.

Pretty quick turn-a-round...however I did go for a fairly basic build with very few extras

Are you in the UK?

We went for an entirely basic build and are waiting 5-6 months...

My order seems to have matched a cancellation...so probably just lucky (i3 Rex in white)

Lucky. Kinda makes me angry to be paying so much money to wait.

My car is due in about an hour and I have never felt so flat about something like this. The way BMW have behaved makes me resent having paid for it. Right up to the day before yesterday when I got an email from customer services telling me my car was ready to collect on Friday after my lease company had arranged delivery (and had the papers from them) I had to email twice and then call to get a rather disgruntled response that they would deliver (they really didn't want to).

Misinformation, delay and lack of communication -- this is just not good customer service.

By the way, I now have to phone them at their branch if I want a handover by someone that understands the i series of cars...

Never again.

mrsmith said:
Just had an email from the dealer, looking like a 10-20th July handover.

Better get that charger ordered!

7th Jan i3 order.

My order is near enough the same as yours time wise....

Have you thought about delaying the registration date to September?

bishbosh said:

What is the purpose for doing this?

I live in the UK (almost 7 years now) and am from the US--we don't have registration cycles like the UK so I do not understand why anyone would delay simple for a registration plate.

AndiC said:
elptex said:
AndiC said:
I paid my deposit for the i3 on the 7th May and just got my email saying that my car has been assembled.

Pretty quick turn-a-round...however I did go for a fairly basic build with very few extras

Are you in the UK?

We went for an entirely basic build and are waiting 5-6 months...

Funny I had an equally quick turn around and I ordered a white Rex with a low spec.

All is forgiven -- car delivered and I love it. First time I have actually driven or even been in one (I know) and it is fantastic.

It's awfully frustrating to see posts beginning to appear from contributors in the US who have been able to walk in and buy "off the lot," while we wait 7 months in the UK. It's even more frustrating to realise that far from making our tiny individual contributions to the environment what the i3 is actually doing is helping BMW to sell more gas guzzlers in the US.

On the other hand I don't think I'd have felt the i3 would be viable for me as sole car without the two tiny spec difference on the European REx that make such a huge difference to its utility.

RJSATLBA said:
It's awfully frustrating to see posts beginning to appear from contributors in the US who have been able to walk in and buy "off the lot," while we wait 7 months in the UK. It's even more frustrating to realise that far from making our tiny individual contributions to the environment what the i3 is actually doing is helping BMW to sell more gas guzzlers in the US.

On the other hand I don't think I'd have felt the i3 would be viable for me as sole car without the two tiny spec difference on the European REx that make such a huge difference to its utility.

I think it's a massive shame that carb credits has triumphed over utility in the US, if indeed that is the reason for the differences.

Bill

RJSATLBA said:

I share your frustration and am very disappointed how BMW seems to be treating us as customers.

True, they may have started to build EVs for all the wrong reasons. But, the result is convincing. And there will be pressure for all car producers to offer electric cars. Between those, competition will be fierce. Only 3 years ago the price of a Mitsubishi i-MiEV was the same as now for the i3 BEV. Mitsubishi have reduced prices twice in the meantime, total of over 30%, still it is nearly impossible so sell those cars now, as others are more advanced. Thus pressure will remain very high to offer attractive cars for a competitive price. More models, better prices, more range and more attractive features will push EVs further ahead, until one hopefully not too distant day there will be a point when they are competitive enough to be bought and produced for their own, not for secondary motives. So all is fine with me, happy as it is and looking forward to the future. 20 years ago I would not have dreamt that today I would have a car like the i3.

Frank

..and sales of gas guzzling Detroit SUVs have dropped off a cliff. They have become unaffordable and someone is going to have to get on board with EV.

GMs publicity seems to be around fuel cells and alternative fuels rather than electric. Looks to me like they will have to make as big a leap as BMW have done in electrics and light weight if any of those other technolgoies are going to be any where near as good.

bishbosh said:
mrsmith said:
Just had an email from the dealer, looking like a 10-20th July handover.

Better get that charger ordered!

7th Jan i3 order.

My order is near enough the same as yours time wise....

Nope. It's a lease car so not bothered about the reg (never have been to be honest!) just want to get hold of it!

However, getting a charger installed is proving to be a pain. British Gas website has been broken for over a week (some force.com login error on submission), call to BG customer service said, yes we know about the problem but cannot process over the phone you must use the website?!?!

All other installers have been unresponsive to emails / messages, other than Retroflo, a company who are based in the NE so too far for my install near Swindon. Check them out http://www.retroflo.com/contact-retroflo
They were very, very helpful and even though there was nothing in it for them, took time to look up and give me details of installers they know of in Bristol and Oxford, so 10 out of 10 for Retroflow customer service.

Just left a message & email for the Bristol one, lets see what happens!

@mrsmith I suspect your not being able to sort out installation of charge point might have something to do with the "free" installation being suspended pending govt review see : http://transportevolved.com/2014/05/23/uk-government-temporarily-halts-domestic-charging-station-program-ahead-ministerial-review/

Flew over Sherwood Forest at 800ft in a Tiger Moth today. Couldn't see any silver i3 but the goggles obscured my vision.

What an amazing contrast in technology.

RJSATLBA said:

You have to remember you could buy a car last year in November or before, in the US we .could not get a car until late April of this year. I don't see a valid case here for your pain.

Back