What range do you all get on the pure electric i3???

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jadnashuanh said:
Do you have the REx or the BEV?

I have BEV. The weather has only recently started to get lower and closer to freezing. I'll need to monitor the consumption over the next few weeks to see if it continues to be low. One thing that I did not mention is that since I do not have ready access to a wall outlet, let alone a L2 charger, I most often do not precondition my car. I'm not sure if that's typical for most on this thread.

I'm averaging about 70-75 miles on a charge. I drive 'uphill both ways' on my daily commute which I'm sure doesn't help but I do get back a lot on the downhill. This is in comfort mode. I find since I drive so conservatively most of the time, if I do switch to eco pro I only get 1 mile extra range on the estimate on the dash and 1 more if I switch to + mode. It's around 40-55 degrees in Portland Oregon area currently.

I am very curious to know how many miles I could get out of the i3 if I take it to a track day or auto cross event. I don't think I'd every do a track day with it, but autoX I might because of the great acceleration at lower speeds. It would give my supercharged BRZ a run for it's money at autox. ;)

IF the testers of the i8 are any indication of the battery life when beating the car on a track...your battery wouldn't last very long! Being legal on the public roadways, it flies and you'd be hard pressed to empty the battery when in sport mode where it and the ICE are working, but not so on the track...I think one magazine only got about 12-miles before they noticed performance slowed since the battery was nearly depleted, and the ICE couldn't keep up. Similar to what happens with the MUCH smaller REx on the i3 when you try to use more power than it can provide...but, on the i8, you still have over 200Hp from the ICE to keep you going...just not as fast as when the battery can power the electric drive, too. Quickly resolves itself if you then drive sanely, but still aggressively, but that's track use verses road use.

I wouldn't be surprised if your range was half or less if pressed on a track in an i3 verses normal driving out on the public roads.

It got real cold real fast tonight here from earlier today which I think I lost about 10-12 miles off the charge from that. I'd say my mileage today was about 80, and hitting closer to 90-95 on average. I have found some new routes using the NAV to get to my destination faster and more energy efficient which has been nice. I didn't expect that I'd be learning of new driving routes that are better routes after living here for over a decade.

Here's my experience so far:

I bought my BEV i3 at the end of August and the warmer temperatures (75-90+ F) gave me an average fully charged estimate of 70-75 miles. I was ALWAYS in Comfort with really no consideration of how I was driving, my average daily commute is less than 20 miles on mostly two lane highway with speeds up to 70MPH. Up until the temperatures dropped below 40F I was averaging 3.9 miles/kwh according to the onboard trip computer over the first 2900 miles of use.

Then we had a serious cold snap with temperatures as low as 14F one morning when I left the house. My range estimator dropped all the way down to 42 miles (on a full charge) by the third day of sub 20 degree weather. I arrived home that evening with around 15 miles of range remaining meaning my actual range had fallen to below 40 miles on a full charge. I started resetting the trip computer daily to see what my actual usage was and my consumption was indicated as between 2.0-2.4 miles/kwh. This was with the HVAC set to 70F, no seat heater, no preconditioning and still using Comfort for every trip. This started freaking me out because I was no longer able to rely on my Level 1 charger to have enough time to give me a full charge over night.

On the third day my TPMS warning went off on all four tires, they were all at around 30PSI! US DOE estimates that every 1 PSI below recommended costs .3 MPG...not sure how to convert that to mi/kwh. Anyway, that certainly was impacting my range so I filled them all to recommended levels and then decided to start using EcoPro and really track my driving and usage.

I've learned that if you're not using EcoPro then It's really hard to understand just how bad your driving habits may be impacting your consumption. The driving analyzer doesn't lie and keeping an eye on it made a big impact on my consumption. Now with temperatures in the mid 30's I've got my consumption back up to 3.3 mi/kwh and I'm still not driving like an old lady just a little more careful. I'm usually hitting 4-5 stars on anticipation with no problem and 2-3 stars on acceleration within driving analyzer. Getting 3+ stars on acceleration would be easy in the city but on a two lane highway it might get me killed.

What I am finding is: Precondition, Precondition!

Yesterday I took a 103 mile trip, preconditioned in my garage which is at 45 deg F (outside temp 35 deg F) by setting the departure time,with a projected range of 88 miles when I left. I drove 103 miles starting out at 10 am and drove the 103 miles over 5 hours with 4 stops and 45 deg F on the returne home. I registered 77 miles (that included the 5 miles remaining when the Rex started) or 72 miles full EV and 30 miles with my Rex upon arriving home, slightly less than a gallon of gas, this was in ecopro+ mode driving on state routes at speeds of 50 to 60 MPH and with an elevation change starting 1000 ft above sea level up to 1250 ft back down to 800 back up to 1250 and then back down to 850 and back up again to 1230 and again back down to 800 then up to 1300 and down again to 1000 up again to 1250 and down again to 1150 for one way and then the repeat back to home.

While I admit I have only 800 miles on my i3 I am still getting good range, however in the late summer I would have been able to do the whole trip in EV in ecopro + mode and that translates as a 25% drop in range. Thank God fir the Rex at least for me, no EV charging in Walnut Creek Ohio or any other rural Ohio locations where I like to travel.

My lifetime average consumption for the i3 is 4.4 miles/kWh, which is higher then the fleet average showing on the i remote app. I usually drive in comfort mode, but I rarely use the heater and then leave it set to 60 F; however I do use the AC when it's warmer set at 73 F. I do have a year of experience driving to maximize EV in my Prius plug-in. The heater really has a big impact on range. In the summer I can get 15 miles EV in the Prius but in winter 10.8 miles is more typical.

Back