Australian pricing for the BMW i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a brand new member on my first post I should say a big hi to all current and intending i3 owners. Living in Brisbane Australia my i3 is on order subject to a satisfactory test drive for a November delivery, although as it seems examples are currently heading to Australia one wonders whether it may be sooner. I have to congratulate the member who managed the $74k drive away deal from Brisbane BMW, including $6k odd of options. In the course of my deal with the same dealer I was told a base drive away price of $72k. I have not included my chosen options in there and after I queried a steep $6200 delivery fee the salesman did advise that the dealerships delivery fee included 5 years scheduled servicing. Of course regular servicing of an EV would usually be regarded as being minimal but it did make me feel a little more satisfied about the deal. Who knows whatever a BMW dealer is likely to charge a BEV i3 owner who pays up at the time of service? Anyway roll on November. Cheers.

Welcome, Gazza.

The dealers can't help themselves with the delivery fee. I managed to knock it down some, and then they dropped it some more probably due to many complaints. After all, the official fee is $2500 on the BMW AU website.

True... He is likely to be bluffing, but it does not seem that I can do anything about it. Hoping that I get delivery by early October

The recommended maintenance on the BEV is essentially nothing! The brakes get serviced at 2-years (fluid), and the cabin air filters maybe beforehand. There is NO other normal maintenance on the vehicle! Even if they throw in some windshield wipers annually, there's no way it should cost an extra $2500(AU). Now, the REx has a bit more things to service. Anything else that goes wrong should be covered by the warranty, and isn't really maintenance.

What's the USD to AUD conversion these days? That would put your prices in perspective - some people see dollars, and don't equate they are different things in different places!

The import duties on things like vehicles is probably close to the lowest to the USA (except for trucks), so we get a great bargain compared to most places.

wshaikh said:
I did get told that even though some i3's may arrive early, they are unlikely to be delivered before 1st October as BMW have not set a 'release date' as yet.

Just heard from the dealer. It's worse than that!

When the cars arrive, they will be stored until launch on the 15th November!

I'm only guessing, but perhaps there is still work to get them certified or ADR compliance for sale in Australia?

Nuts. :(

The date is confirmed by the dealer, I don't think BMWA has made any public announcement yet.

Regarding the wallbox, I haven't heard a thing about it (I haven't asked either). My plan is to use the supplied portable EVSE and decide if I need a higher amperage supply once I have had the car for a while. In any case, I cannot imagine the BMW part will be cheaper than other options. There are several suppliers already in the market and pricing will only become more competitive as the EV market expands here.

Well the Nov date for release now seems almost certain - pity it wasn't earlier. Im being told that several BMW dealership/ service staff will need to undergo training on the i3, and this will take time. I will need to extend my car rental by another month then!

I just can't understand how some of you can get the dealer to reduce the huge dealer markup. This is a car with limited allocation, and only a handful of dealers authorized to sell them in the whole of Australia, and they have probably been told not to poach customers from interstate. There's absolutely no leverage that I can think of, short of not buying at all...

It's not the i3 pricing specifically that's nuts, it's Australian car pricing in general that's nuts!

Why single out the i3, all of the cars in Australia are similarly incredibly, horrendously, profusely overpriced.

e.g., MB B250 starts at $49,500 in AU $ but only $30,500 here in Canada. That's 63% more.
(The AU$ and CA$ are about at par.)

The i3 is $72K in Australia and $45K here. Lo and behold, that's 60% more…!

It's funny that you single out the i3, when in reality it's all AU pricing that's completely nuts.

I honestly don't know how you Australians put up with it. I would be rioting in the streets, or moving.

Keep in mind the minimum wage in Australia is also 60% more, and the average earning is 20% more. If I would be doing my same job in the US or Canada I would be earning at least 60% less, and having 50% less leave entitlements!

We put up with it as there are several things that make up, not least the weather, the people, and the work life balance.

Surge said:
I honestly don't know how you Australians put up with it. I would be rioting in the streets, or moving.

Over just a car? There are other priorities that need to be taken account of as well you know.

I think we have arguably some of the best places to live despite the relatively high cost of vehicles and other manufactured goods. Comes down to market size and distance, although the rise of internet shopping has broken a lot of the rip-offs but not all.

Note the number of Australian cities in the top 10 livable cities from the economist:

20140823_gdc980.png

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2014/08/daily-chart-13

How will climate change affected those livibility ratings? We often read or see on TV stories about heat waves and brush fires etc. is this going to be a manageable situation in the next decades? I know very little is being done here in Calif. to address those very issues, just a lot of arguing over water rights.......

WoodlandHills said:
How will climate change affected those livibility ratings?

Same as anywhere else. Winners and losers. Most of Australia's population lives in urban areas, so although bushfires are seeming to become more common, they don't ravage those areas as much as forests and outer areas where population density is much less.

Only a month away? I better get cracking and clean the old bus up ready for sale!

So my i3 has just arrived at the Brisbane dock today. 21 Nov apparently is still the most likely date! Anyone else get a date from their dealer which is different?

It seems all is good for my delivery next Friday, 21st, for now at least.

Received a call today regarding Paint protection etc. Any ideas on if this would be worthwhile? I got a quote on the tinting from BMW and that was inviting. I don't believe interior protection etc is required but would like others thoughts.

Looks like the i3 is out for test drives. Any news from those who have ordered as to when they will be receiving?

Latest posts

Back