BMW I3 -Most Dangerious Steering Of Any Car I've Owned!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeffj said:
Is there possibly a difference across different vehicles? I'd be curious if Idleup or Epirali have driven a few other i3's and observed the same behavior. It really seems (from monitoring the comments) that there are 2 camps here - those who are experiencing extremely twitchy steering at highway speeds and those who aren't (or aren't noticing it). Its really hard to tell if there is a problem when one person drives one car.

I have only drive one i3, so I can't really say anything about how other ones would feel. But even if its the car not the person then there is an interesting issue of quality control. I can't imagine that the wheel size will make any/much difference in the responsiveness/over responsiveness of the steering. But FWIW I have standard wheels.

Because the vehicle is fairly tall, with a stiff, gusty side wind, it can FEEL like it is moving out of line much more than it really is. It is really easy to then make 'corrections' that aren't really necessary, making things worse. One has to learn to rely more on your eyes than your ears to determine the actual path, and only make corrections if needed. THen, they need to be made smoothly. IMHO, the responsiveness of the steering is not dangerous. You cannot be asleep while driving or let your attention wander. The i3 is NOT for everyone!

epirali said:
You and other like the behavior, I and others do not. I think BMW would do themselves a lot of good if they adopted the suggestion made here to have user settable responsiveness for the steering as part of the settings. I would label the current one "video game controller" mode personally.

So are you in the 'I'm not a fan of the steering' camp, or are you in the 'The car is absolutely dangerous at speeds above 60 mph camp'?

I'll take quick and direct steering anytime. It's a general German car trait. I've had a few German cars, currently have three, all of them have quick and direct steering.

Jeffj said:
Is there possibly a difference across different vehicles? I'd be curious if Idleup or Epirali have driven a few other i3's and observed the same behavior. It really seems (from monitoring the comments) that there are 2 camps here - those who are experiencing extremely twitchy steering at highway speeds and those who aren't (or aren't noticing it). Its really hard to tell if there is a problem when one person drives one car.

+1.

Also, those claiming problems haven't confirmed that they have checked their tyre pressures and had the alignment checked.

OK I think the problem is you're not really aware what the problem is so you can't feel it - there is hundreds of complaints nation wide with this problem. The car is absolutely dangerous at speeds above 60 mph.[/quote]

Nonsense. Is it possible you're used to a car with much less sensitivity. I've drive mine at speeds of 75-80 for 50 miles non-stop without ANY issues. Have you checked to see if the tire pressure correct, wheel alignemen? What size wheels? I have the 20 inch, the steering is FANTASTIC at ALL Speeds.

I33t said:
Jeffj said:

+1.

Also, those claiming problems haven't confirmed that they have checked their tyre pressures and had the alignment checked.

My tire pressures are spot on as per a liquid filled gage and since the car was investigated by BMW and Bridgestone for the whooping noise I know that the alignment is correct also. All that was the first thing that was checked when they had my car for a week. I am assuming that my car is actually within specs since that is what they told me, yet it still has too much sensitivity at the straight ahead position. The car refuses to track. Put two fingers on the wheel and it just drifts around, use a hand and you have to make tiny smooth inputs to avoid over controlling.

The car has no neutral zone at the straight ahead position and it also acts like there is too little castor. I have never owned a car that required such constant micro inputs on the wheel to stay centered in the lane. I does not feel unsafe exactly, but it is irritating and very tiring when driving on the freeway: something a mega-city car should be designed for.

I have 20" wheels and I think the steering feel is twitchy and does not feel solid and planted at speed. I would describe the feel as "nervous" when above 60 mph.

Well, something is wrong here.

I have the 19" wheels, and the car is not twitchy or 'nervous' above 60mph (or any speed), it also has what you describe as 'no neutral zone' and that is exactly one of the things I look for in a car. The car tracks like an arrow and requires no concious active input to maintain direction. I agree if that was the case, it would be tiring, in my car, it isn't an issue.

Could the issue be the type and standard of pavement in the areas you drive in? Here, we have smooth bitumen freeway with little road camber variations. Suburban roads (mostly 60kph, some 50kph) have variable surfaces but the i3 handles them just fine at those speeds.

I33t said:
epirali said:
You and other like the behavior, I and others do not. I think BMW would do themselves a lot of good if they adopted the suggestion made here to have user settable responsiveness for the steering as part of the settings. I would label the current one "video game controller" mode personally.

So are you in the 'I'm not a fan of the steering' camp, or are you in the 'The car is absolutely dangerous at speeds above 60 mph camp'?

I'll take quick and direct steering anytime. It's a general German car trait. I've had a few German cars, currently have three, all of them have quick and direct steering.

I am not a fan of steering, but I do not consider the car dangerous. I have tried spot on inflation and over inflation, alignment is perfect. The response is just simply wrong.

I have multiple German cars and all (including two other bows) properly scale their wheels at high speed and do not require constant correction due to being overly responsive.

Quick and direct is not the same as over-responsive and twitchy.

Twitchy, to me anyways, would mean the car was moving around without inputs. The car does go where you point it. I like that. It's not the first car I've owned that did this.

Jeffj said:

Thanks for the reply - I went down to my dealer and Nat let me drive 3 different I3's everyone was exactly the same. One of the cars just had the latest revision of software. My friend Bob bought his I3 he lives by Annapolis the day he picked his up the first words that came out of his mouth was" I love the car but hate the steering"!

Its just a matter of time you'll be hearing plenty on this steering problem - any way you look at it its broke and needs to be fixed!

In closing, this steering problem is just one of the many other problems the I3 has like:

The self-Starting generator (RX) that only starts after the batteries are already too low!

Having a generator in the car that for reasons unknown will not charge the battery! (hello)

The goofy small 2.5 gal fuel tank that was reduced even further to 1.9 gallons usable. (Put a damn fuel tank in the car my lawn mower has a bigger tank)

Selling a $50,0000 car without a backup camera (hello)!

Selling a $50,000 car with all the safety hype and not put a blind spot feature

Selling a $50,000 car with manual pump up seats!

Having a front trunk in a car that is unusable and leaks worse than being outside.

Regards!

To Epirali and Idleup - Could you both post pictures of your cars? As they currently are (so dangerous as you both say) - No pictures - no proof - please be silent.

Ok I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but you lost me here. The old "this should be included on a $xx,xxx car" trope (ok then why did you buy it?!) and many other things that were designed that way, on purpose, that you should have known going in yet you bought it anyway.

Now you're here to complain and it just sounds like purposeful trolling :roll:

Idleup said:
Jeffj said:

Thanks for the reply - I went down to my dealer and Nat let me drive 3 different I3's everyone was exactly the same. One of the cars just had the latest revision of software. My friend Bob bought his I3 he lives by Annapolis the day he picked his up the first words that came out of his mouth was" I love the car but hate the steering"!

Its just a matter of time you'll be hearing plenty on this steering problem - any way you look at it its broke and needs to be fixed!

In closing, this steering problem is just one of the many other problems the I3 has like:

The self-Starting generator (RX) that only starts after the batteries are already too low!

Having a generator in the car that for reasons unknown will not charge the battery! (hello)

The goofy small 2.5 gal fuel tank that was reduced even further to 1.9 gallons usable. (Put a damn fuel tank in the car my lawn mower has a bigger tank)

Selling a $50,0000 car without a backup camera (hello)!

Selling a $50,000 car with all the safety hype and not put a blind spot feature

Selling a $50,000 car with manual pump up seats!

Having a front trunk in a car that is unusable and leaks worse than being outside.

Regards!

Aside from your issues with the steering, which I kind of agree with but have adapted to without too much trouble the car is certainly not dangerous and it's good for your levels of alertness if you need to pay attention to the road, ( try amending the tyre/Tire pressures it helps).

Backup camera is available as an option with the parking package but isn't standard. The car is so easy to park anyway so I don't consider this to be an issue, unless you have mobility problems and cannot look behind you in the direction of travel.

The manual seats were there when you bought it, try a gym membership to help you cope.

Blind spot assistive tech - not available anywhere for the i3. If it mattered to you why didn't you ask prior to purchase. I use the mirrors they are the shiny things attached to the doors.

The REx Generator activation level is forced on BMW by the US CARB legislation (California being one of the more important markets for this type of car), as was the size of the Fuel Tank along with a coded reduction in usable capacity. The rest of the world doesn't have this issue.

YOUR options are:-
1) Get your car coded to give you the flexibility that everyone else enjoys
2) Move to another country
3) STFU with pointless whining

PS you friend Bob - the one who didn't think to ask your opinion about the car can also take advantage of this advice. :roll:
Perhaps you should choose a Camry next time.

I33t said:
Well, something is wrong here.

I have the 19" wheels, and the car is not twitchy or 'nervous' above 60mph (or any speed), it also has what you describe as 'no neutral zone' and that is exactly one of the things I look for in a car. The car tracks like an arrow and requires no concious active input to maintain direction. I agree if that was the case, it would be tiring, in my car, it isn't an issue.

Could the issue be the type and standard of pavement in the areas you drive in? Here, we have smooth bitumen freeway with little road camber variations. Suburban roads (mostly 60kph, some 50kph) have variable surfaces but the i3 handles them just fine at those speeds.

+1

As for the original posters claim about there being ‘hundreds of complaints about the steering”, it seems strange that on this forum its would appear to be such a low percentage. I would hate BMW to change the steering responsiveness. Just like the regeneration level which I loved as originally produced, although the regeneration sensation was strange to start with i soon got very used to it, I was extremely disappointed when it was reduced by BMW and imposed on my car because evidently some others did not like it! Test the car then buy it if you like it. If you don’t then don’t buy it - its clearly not the car for you!

Well regretfully your comments of tracking like an arrow is worthless because we're not driving on railroad tracks - roads vary as does the the pitch of the road so the old game of taking your hands off the wheel in real life driving is of no value. Like I said there is no reason to have steering so tight that body gestures cause the car to move in its lane.

Regarding the missing blind spot feature and the backup camera, I've been driving cars for 50 years so it doesn't matter to me, but if you're going to charge $50k for a car, put a damn $3.00 back-up camera, and perhaps save someone from backing over a kid! There is not an excuse in the world why that camera is not there especially when the monitor is already installed, it is nothing by a scam to make you upgrade to a model you don't need at the sake of safety - shame on you BMW!

There is plenty of complaints in the real world at the service centers - the reason your not hearing much about the steering is because most of the forum members are in "La La" land and are just here to brag about the I3 - heck they just spent $50K on the car, they don't want to publicly make a fool of themselves and complain about some real facts, such as the I3 being terribly over-priced and the fact is has some real issues with regard to value, handling, missing features, generator, fuel tank, leaks, etc.

Like I said, if you don't feel there is a problem with the steering - then you're good to go!

Some people don't have the ability to feel when something is wrong, I followed a lady around 4 miles down I-95 with the back tire shredding off trying to get her to pull over - when she finally did, she said; I had no idea I had a flat tire!

To those of you who keep accusing people with complaints about the car of being trolls or telling them to shut up it stop whinung: stop it. You are not doing anyone a favor. You are not making the i3 look better. You are not convincing anyone they are wrong. You are actually hardening their negative opinions further by being uncivil.

Try being civil, and realize your opinion is not the only one. There are others. You disagree, more power to you. Doesn't make you right or wrong. Consider that reading other people's positive experience without vitriol is more likely to influence others.

There are some of us who have issues with the car. I had a list even more extensive which shockingly overlaps a lot with the one here. The car has some questionable decisions from my viewpoint (and others). Steering and accelerator in "comfort" along with a wrongly tuned suspension are on the top of that list.

However I for one believe the car to be perfectly safe. But I also would not let someone with less driving skill drive the i3 for fear of over reaction in an emergency maneuver.

Looking back, I never noticed the light-weightedness of the steering in my first 3 long and exhaustive test drives. Before purchase, I also gave the car to my wife for a test trip to simulate her daily commute. She didn't initially notice it either.

Now, 4 months into owning it, the directness and lightweight steering is obvious to both of us, but hasn't become an issue. My wife would be the first to mention it, as she cares less about cars than me. I have actually started to like it.

I'm hearing those people who are not happy with the steering and may look back with regret. You are not trolls, but simply people who did less research than necessary. Simply own up to it.

As for the ratio of who is happy with handling/steering and who is not, I think we can leave this up to forum readers to decide. Generally, most people these days know that online forums are mainly full of disgruntled posts. Those happy with a product or service are too busy enjoying it and find rarely time to post about it.

psquare said:
Looking back, I never noticed the light-weightedness of the steering in my first 3 long and exhaustive test drives. Before purchase, I also gave the car to my wife for a test trip to simulate her daily commute. She didn't initially notice it either.

Now, 4 months into owning it, the directness and lightweight steering is obvious to both of us, but hasn't become an issue. My wife would be the first to mention it, as she cares less about cars than me. I have actually started to like it.

I'm hearing those people who are not happy with the steering and may look back with regret. You are not trolls, but simply people who did less research than necessary. Simply own up to it.

As for the ratio of who is happy with handling/steering and who is not, I think we can leave this up to forum readers to decide. Generally, most people these days know that online forums are mainly full of disgruntled posts. Those happy with a product or service are too busy enjoying it and find rarely time to post about it.

That is a very good point. Problem with forums is that only issues are posted, not the fun things as you point out. Also with other cars I own I couldn't even try to capture the fun and quality if I tried to. Problems are easy to put into words, fun isn't.

I'll own up to not taking the 3 day test drive offered, I have before. I just would have realized better what I'd have to live with. If I had I may have still gotten the i3 for the one true winner feature (for me): the Rex. Right now nothing beats that one very useful feature. But I did a lot of research and until recently did not see anyone mentioning these characteristics. One review glossed over the suspension hop by saying he drives it like he would a stiff sport car, but that's it. That's why I don't let the real trolls, the one trying to shut down factual discussions, drive me away. If someone else is doing research as you say and reads this before they get an i3 they will have more information and can judge which camp they fall into.

The sad part is I find myself going to my other cars a lot more than I should considering I got the i3 for daily driving. There are days where I just don't want to deal with the handling and suspension.

Idleup said:
There is plenty of complaints in the real world at the service centers

Please substantiate. Do you work at a service centre, or did exhaustive research ?

Idleup said:
the reason your not hearing much about the steering is because most of the forum members are in "La La" land and are just here to brag about the I3

Again, Please. This has always been friendly, supportive forum, where criticism has its rightfull place, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back