Help no heat

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I am in the uk and three years warranty had heat today from car after charging over night but on precondition from bmw app but later when I leave work no heat all my problems started after New Year’s Day with the bmw app

Just purchased an i3s, only 50k on the clock.. and the heating is only working intermittently, i did get 2 year warrant, and the earliest booking I could get is 30 of Feb. Has anybody experienced the same issue and how was it resolved

Hi my car goes in tomorrow so will see what comes up on fault code yours is doing the same as mine it’s good you have the warranty

Thanks for reply, I bought the car at a non BMW dealership, I think by the letter of the law I have to bring it back to them, my appointment is with a BMW DEALERSHIP in Feb, just hoping they let BMW do the work, I want it done right, it’s a major pain at the moment with the freezing temperatures.. please let me know how you get on, and best of luck 🤞

Yes I will post the outcome but I think it may be the end of my journey with this car if silly prices

One of our i3’s had the same issue - intermittent heat- and then none.
Apparently a “known” i3 issue for the standard non-heat pump versions.
It is the i3 heater element that fails - situated behind the “frunk”.
IMG_1912.jpeg
Someone competent mechanically will find it an easy swap out.
Caution: Remember to turn off and isolate the HV battery supply first!
Part is expensive though at about £480.
I understand it has been updated since the version fitted at build.

Hi car went in today and fault code is 801 380 which is a internal fault on heater tank so new one wanted and have been told bmw upgraded this part

One of our i3’s had the same issue - intermittent heat- and then none.
Apparently a “known” i3 issue for the standard non-heat pump versions.
It is the i3 heater element that fails - situated behind the “frunk”.
View attachment 492
Part is expensive though at about £480.
I understand it has been updated since the version fitted at build.
I have a 2015 i3. My heater stopped working . The fault I have finally resolved ! Was the HV heater had leaked water internally into the HV cable connection on the side . This in turn blew the £15 fuse in the EME in the boot. It took my back street garage mechanic 12 hrs to change the fuse and had to alter a few spanners to change the fuse . BMW garages will seek to replace the HV heater ,all associated HV cables ,the EME and also the EKK. This will cost about £11,500 !!!! . I got mine fixed for £2100 . Hope this helps . Fingers crossed your cars have warranty

Before you put in storage, maybe take VIN to another BMW dealer in case car was made in first couple months of 2020 and there is a month or two left. If you put it to the side you may kick yourself later you didn’t get a 2nd opinion. I’m looking at a 2030 i3s and non-bmw dealer said you have the warranty when I requested the 12 volt battery be changed as part of the sale. Still checking to see if he is right as San Francisco BMW dealer I reached out to didn’t give an answer. BMW told me all dealers are privately owned on another dealer who said he could sell to my state.
Hi Jim,

Are you in the Bay Area? Concord BMW was amazing with Bailey I3. My rep is Kevin A.

I bought my I3 from a high-end broker and they told me I had no warranty on the car (2014 Base REx). I took it to Concord BMW and turns out there are two warranties left. Which ones? I can’t remember but they took care of $14k in parts in labor for my deductible of $275 to find out the electrical harness was the only thing needed to be replaced.

Check out Concord. I’m sure you’ll like them. They also worked on my 2004 X5.

US BMW dealers are independently own so I learned when I complained to BMW because the San Luis Obispo BMW refused my online i3s purchase saying they don’t sell to my New England state. Paying cash, I’m arranging transport, I’m registering, insuring so what’s the problem? Been watching trying to buy a 2020 or 2021 i3s low mileage car and BMW dealers advertise a price at BMWUSA and when you check further, they want $1000 for something they did to the car body, then $1000 for something else and $899 dealer fees before you get to taxes. They added $2000 to the price advertised, then dealer fees. Some BMW dealers are like $75 because there is nothing they really do, so you have to check.

I have a 2015 i3. My heater stopped working . The fault I have finally resolved ! Was the HV heater had leaked water internally into the HV cable connection on the side . This in turn blew the £15 fuse in the EME in the boot. It took my back street garage mechanic 12 hrs to change the fuse and had to alter a few spanners to change the fuse . BMW garages will seek to replace the HV heater ,all associated HV cables ,the EME and also the EKK. This will cost about £11,500 !!!! . I got mine fixed for £2100 . Hope this helps . Fingers crossed your cars have warranty
Thankfully ours was replaced at a BMW main dealer for c.£580 including a new upgraded heater unit. The cost goes through the farm, (it's a company pool car) so we get the VAT back, so not too bad, and I could keep working instead of scraping my knuckles in the frunk.…

Hi Roryc - do you recall/could you find out what your code was? I think I have the same issue based on my fault code/description... TIA

Anyone know if Is there somewhere that gives a description of how to do the repair? I read that the coolant used in the heating system is described as "Coolant concentrate i3" but can anyone help with what the correct procedure is for bleeding air out of the system once the coolant has been replaced. I saw the BMW Technical Training product information manual which is interesting but not a repair manual. There seems to be little info on repair procedures for the i3, a repair manual would be great.

Check fluid levels in the Frunk, the black tank, between the Brake Fluid and forward white tank. That is the "Heating System Circuit" where the Coolant, BMW PN: 83512355296 (mix 50/50 with distilled water). There is a max-fill indicator in the tank. I get my fluids from FCP Euro.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-coolant-i3-1-l-konzentrat-83512355296

Sorry, I don't know the procedure for bleeding air out of the system.

I would suggest using a turkey baster to remove all the existing fluid in the tank, before replenishing with the fresh fluid.

Sharing the service log I created for my 2014.

Attachments

• Vehicle_Service_Log_BMW I3.pdf
    241.8 KB · Views: 4
Just as a matter of info. In the UK Wisley just published their prices. What is interesting is the range of items and what a fix should cost. Main not translate to USA.

Back