No Sunroof in the US: Confirmed

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That seems remarkably good. Look like I'll be able to do the trip from here (near Durham) to my sister's near Grantham with a full charge and one tank-full easily. Can't wait for May!

Chris said:
Ok so no sunroof for the US just now, but there are positives, the car will be more efficient and go further on a charge because it weighs less it will be better insulated against cold or heat, and will be more aerodynamic. Oh and it will cost you less to buy and run.

Two weeks ago I had a demonstrator REX for a couple of days, and the chap at the garage said I could go where I pleased. Taking advantage, I charged the car up full and filled the small 9ltr petrol tank and set of for York, a journey of about 175 miles door to door.

Using the A1 motorway and setting the rex to maintain the charge at 75% I set off, booting it in all the right places. She just wanted to go!

By the time I got to York my petrol tank was empty, but I had a healthy battery at 70%. I filled up with petrol and, proceeded to my destination in York City.

I was less heavy footed on my return, putting the car into eco-pro+ and driving gently, to see if I could return to my starting point without using any petrol. The Rex engine remained off until the battery charge had dropped to about 15% which was within about 3 miles of my starting point.

My battery bus is being built in week 6 and hopefully delivered by week 10, Oh and I did include a sunroof.

Regards
Chris

It is interesting that you lost 5% SOC on that one leg. Here in the US we would not be able to activate the REx until it was below 5% SOC. That would probably have cause a limited power mode. If you don't mind me asking, How fast were you driving?

Sranger said:
Chris said:
Ok so no sunroof for the US just now, but there are positives, the car will be more efficient and go further on a charge because it weighs less it will be better insulated against cold or heat, and will be more aerodynamic. Oh and it will cost you less to buy and run.

Two weeks ago I had a demonstrator REX for a couple of days, and the chap at the garage said I could go where I pleased. Taking advantage, I charged the car up full and filled the small 9ltr petrol tank and set of for York, a journey of about 175 miles door to door.

Using the A1 motorway and setting the rex to maintain the charge at 75% I set off, booting it in all the right places. She just wanted to go!

By the time I got to York my petrol tank was empty, but I had a healthy battery at 70%. I filled up with petrol and, proceeded to my destination in York City.

I was less heavy footed on my return, putting the car into eco-pro+ and driving gently, to see if I could return to my starting point without using any petrol. The Rex engine remained off until the battery charge had dropped to about 15% which was within about 3 miles of my starting point.

My battery bus is being built in week 6 and hopefully delivered by week 10, Oh and I did include a sunroof.

Regards
Chris

It is interesting that you lost 5% SOC on that one leg. Here in the US we would not be able to activate the REx until it was below 5% SOC. That would probably have cause a limited power mode. If you don't mind me asking, How fast were you driving?

The car was not able to maintain the state of charge at 75% towards the end of the journey to York cos I had run out of petrol before getting there, and so was running without REX and therefore using some battery range.

I have to say that the whole experience was facinating and has led me to analyse my energy consumption in every way. Watching a battery discharging during the journey back from York, really did make me drive with much more care and planing than the carefree, foot pumping journey to York when I knew I could replace power with the REX engine.

I have looked at your website and have to congratulate you on your great VW car conversion.

Regards Chris

I have to agree that this is very disappointing, especially considering the moonroof is still listed as part of the Tera and Giga worlds when you build your own on bmwusa.com. I was hoping to finally upgrade to an EV that didn't mean sacrificing creature comfort and limiting features that are typical for comparable ICE vehicles. Not sure this changes my thinking at this point, but I'm still very concerned about lease rates and financing options, so it might be a moot point.

Chris said:
The car was not able to maintain the state of charge at 75% towards the end of the journey to York cos I had run out of petrol before getting there, and so was running without REX and therefore using some battery range.

I have to say that the whole experience was facinating and has led me to analyse my energy consumption in every way. Watching a battery discharging during the journey back from York, really did make me drive with much more care and planing than the carefree, foot pumping journey to York when I knew I could replace power with the REX engine.

I have looked at your website and have to congratulate you on your great VW car conversion.

Regards Chris

Thanks... The Thing is a lot of fun to drive..

That is good news. It sounds like the REx was able to hold SOC with some spirited driving as long as you had fuel....

Great trip report Chris (worthy of a new thread ?). Very interesting to me as, like Brian, that's similar to a journey I'll be doing in my REx every couple of months so glad to see it went so well.

cyellen said:
I have to agree that this is very disappointing, especially considering the moonroof is still listed as part of the Tera and Giga worlds when you build your own on bmwusa.com. I was hoping to finally upgrade to an EV that didn't mean sacrificing creature comfort and limiting features that are typical for comparable ICE vehicles. Not sure this changes my thinking at this point, but I'm still very concerned about lease rates and financing options, so it might be a moot point.

Hello Cyellen- Can you please share exact links to where you are seeing the moonroof on bmwusa.com?

Thanks!

tiburonh said:
cyellen said:

Hello Cyellen- Can you please share exact links to where you are seeing the moonroof on bmwusa.com?

Thanks!

Tiburonh....it's gone now, but as late as last week it was still listed when you clicked on the standard features link. Obviously now, it was a hold-over from the European version. Sad...

Mike74jcw said:
The sunroof is still listed on the downloadable PDF file, but gone everywhere else on the site it appears :eek:.

What's the link to the PDF you're referencing? I downloaded the US standard and optional equipment list titled "i3_DOTS_FINAL_12-5-13.pdf" on January 8. The words "sunroof," "moonroof" and "roof" do not appear in it. Interestingly, I couldn't find the link of bmwusa.com this morning.

Perhaps the options that BMW USA supposedly has taken off the table for the first model year—Capparis White paint and sunroof have been discussed on this board, maybe others still—will make up the Electronauts edition? It's one way to deliver on the promise that those cars will get equipment not available to the general public.

bensunderland said:
... with pillar and not full retraction...
Hi - Would you mind taking a couple of pictures (I'm trying to visualise what you mean by pillars and retraction)? Thanks

USA customers, I fully understand your frustration, it's not fair just as its not fair for UK customers that want the inbuilt garage/gate opening switch, can't understand it?

Back