Will you order all electric or Rex?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the English version they do say 4T9 is not available on the Rex version:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/dam/bmw/marketGB/bmw_next/newvehicles/bmwi-overview/i3/design/BMW_i3_Pricelist.pdf.resource.1375280767909.pdf

But, in my opinion, the Winter package is way better for less money. Because with the heated seats, you'll get warm really fast, and the other option included in this package will heat up your battery.

But one thing I don't understand is that from My BMW remote, you can start up the heater/climatisation as long as your BMW as the option. For i3, all the cars will be able to interact with My BMW i Remote...

So why is there a "cold weather cabin preparation" option on the BMW i3? Must be more complex than what I imagine I guess...

I wonder if this is related to the potential need for the "heat-pump" as part of any cabin pre-heating/cooling? Perhaps there are some sort of emission concerns related with pre-heat/cool that are a non-issue WITH the heat pump, but ARE an issue without it?

With REx, the heat-pump cannot be installed - they occupy the same physical space next to the electric motor. Is it possible <gasp> that WITH REx they're using residual heat from the REx to heat and therefore one cannot pre-heat in a closed garage without the REx firing up to provide said heat? Just a theory (and perhaps completely without merit).

Sure will be nice when someone has something definitive on this question, especially on the US spec which might be clarified sometime this fall.

I drive a BMW ActiveE electric car and I can turn on the preconditioning from the MyBMW app. I'm certain you'll be able to do that with the i3 regardless of whether or not you have the REx. I've seen the app and preconditioning is one of it's most prominent feature.

If the REx engine is set up so you can capture waste heat for battery & cabin heating it would not do so unless the car was driving and the REx turned on. It definitely wouldn't turn on while the car was parked and you were preheating - that I'm 100% certain of.

Whether it suits you or not is an individual choice and decision. But as a counter argument I have been driving pure EV's for four years now and have driven them about 130,000 miles. Yep, I've driven over 30,000 a year in my 80-100 mile EV for the past four years so It is very possible to do so without running out in the dead of winter (I live in Northern NJ so we get a lot os snow here). I've driven in storms, floods, detours, traffic, hurricane Sandy, without any major problems.

The range extender does offer a second level of assurance and I think it will be a very popular option. I am in fact considering getting it so I can do the 220 mile drive to my in laws in Vermont once a month or so. However other then that, the 80-100 miles has been perfect for me and I drive about 600 miles per week which is much more than the average driver.[/quote]

Tom,

I apologize if you interpreted my post as a "my way or the highway". I wrote this post assuming most of the people on this blog have never owned an EV. I concur that it is possible or plausible to do what you have done, However, I suspect you have managed your driving style to have facilitated this great accomplishment. By that I mean, how you drive, when you drive and using a lot of thought regarding your travel for the day. Although I admire your abilities, I still will stand by my previous post. One, most people don't want to have to think about pre cooling and pre heating and when and when not to use heat or cooling. Or planing routes to facilitate the greatest EV distance. Or driving 55 to facilitate the greatest MP(KWH). I get that to some its a competition. But for many, its not. Maybe BMW has improved battery technology, but I've seen drastic loses in battery life with the 3 issues I mentioned... Topography, temperature and driving style. As I've stated, if anyone thinks you're going to get 80 to 100 miles on battery while your doing 70 MPH on the turnpike, you're going to be very disappointed. The same goes for temperatures under 32 degrees F. The REX isn't something I'm going to use a lot. Its something I'd wish I didn't need, but until you start talking about 200 mile plus battery range, OR YOU NEVER leave a 25 mile radius from your house. My opinion is that you'll regret not having a safety net. Its only going to take one stranded driving experience.

At the end of the day, its not about my opinion or someone else. Its plain old math. What is the worst case EV battery distance the car is going to travel? What is the longest distance from point A to B you think you will be driving with your vehicle? Multiply that by 2. If the driving distance is greater than the the worst case battery distance or even close. I'd say you'll need a REX.

the43k said:
Tom,

I apologize if you interpreted my post as a "my way or the highway". I wrote this post assuming most of the people on this blog have never owned an EV. I concur that it is possible or plausible to do what you have done, However, I suspect you have managed your driving style to have facilitated this great accomplishment. By that I mean, how you drive, when you drive and using a lot of thought regarding your travel for the day. Although I admire your abilities, I still will stand by my previous post. One, most people don't want to have to think about pre cooling and pre heating and when and when not to use heat or cooling. Or planing routes to facilitate the greatest EV distance. Or driving 55 to facilitate the greatest MP(KWH). I get that to some its a competition. But for many, its not. Maybe BMW has improved battery technology, but I've seen drastic loses in battery life with the 3 issues I mentioned... Topography, temperature and driving style. As I've stated, if anyone thinks you're going to get 80 to 100 miles on battery while your doing 70 MPH on the turnpike, you're going to be very disappointed. The same goes for temperatures under 32 degrees F. The REX isn't something I'm going to use a lot. Its something I'd wish I didn't need, but until you start talking about 200 mile plus battery range, OR YOU NEVER leave a 25 mile radius from your house. My opinion is that you'll regret not having a safety net. Its only going to take one stranded driving experience.

At the end of the day, its not about my opinion or someone else. Its plain old math. What is the worst case EV battery distance the car is going to travel? What is the longest distance from point A to B you think you will be driving with your vehicle? Multiply that by 2. If the driving distance is greater than the the worst case battery distance or even close. I'd say you'll need a REX.

No I didn't see it that way at all. One of the cool things about being in these trial lease EV programs for the past four + years has been meeting and getting to know the others who, just like me, were once a newbie and wondering if we could really live with an 80-100 mile EV. Some couldn't, but the vast majority found the range was suitable for them. Now don't get me wrong, everybody(me included) want's more range but way more people learned they could love just fine with the range they have then actually expected to.

I do agree the REx will be very popular and increases the cars utility by a great deal and you make valid and certainly correct points But I know a lot of people that don't just want to burn less gas, they don't want to burn any and with some planning and small (not big, really) sacrifice most people can adapt to driving a car with an 80 to 100 mile range without much problem at all. Now if the DC quick charge infrastructure gets built out, that will make it immensely easier to do so. :)

I've been reading through the German and UK price list brochures.

German brochure says that remote control of battery preconditioning is tied to seat heaters: Does NOT put any requirements on interior preconditioning.

DE:

BMW i Remote App
Für BMW i designte Remote APP. Für IOS und Android verfügbar. Funktionen wie Ladestandskontrolle, Statuskontrolle des Fahrzeugs, Fahrtanlayse und Vorbereitung der nächsten Fahrt. Innenraum- und Hochvoltspeicherkonditionierung (Vorkonditionierung der Hochvoltspeicher nur in Verbindung mit Sitzheizung).

Nothing in the UK brochure about remote preheating not working with the range extender.

One of the cool things about being in these trial lease EV programs for the past four + years has been meeting and getting to know the others who, just like me, were once a newbie and wondering if we could really live with an 80-100 mile EV.

Agreed.. Here is a little about me. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNmjwBPLB2c

Hopefully, this is the clarity we all require:

When I asked the BMWi Online Support about using the iRemote App to turn on the heating in an i3 I was told:
"there is no difference between the BMW i3 and i3 with range extender in that respect. The remote app would work work the same".

mkaiser1 said:
Hopefully, this is the clarity we all require:

When I asked the BMWi Online Support about using the iRemote App to turn on the heating in an i3 I was told:
"there is no difference between the BMW i3 and i3 with range extender in that respect. The remote app would work work the same".

Forget that - I thought I'd log on to another web chat to double check and was told:
"Yes you can" in response to the same question.

I then asked them to confirm this for definite as I couldn't spec the 'Heat Pump' and wondered if this was required to be told:
"My apologies you cannot use the remote application to turn the heating on." and "That is definate, however in regards why, I can not answer that as we have no information as to why."

For me, it will depend on credible reports from drivers of production units. If folks can routinely squeak out no less than 75 miles of range in worst case Georgia conditions (say, 20 degrees F, heater on, lights on) of 60% 65mph interstate, 40% stop and go up to 55mph, I'll strongly consider the non REx version. After state and federal tax credits, the base i3 would cost me less than $30,000, and the REx version would cost $8,850 more.

My wife will be driving it 58.2 miles round trip in the 60/40 mix stated above. I'd guess it might make it with a new battery, but am more concerned that it will still make it 100,000 miles from now when the battery bank is down to 80% capacity. Still guesswork, but it seems to me 75 mile range with a new battery should do the trick, that would give her a little over a mile reserve range left pulling in the driveway years from now, after 20% loss of battery capacity.

Looking at advertised vs real world numbers of a wide range of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles, I'm not confident the i3 will be able to pull it off, so I may have to go with the REx.

Hi, new to this forum but just about to order an i3 and I am also having to make the REx decision.

I don't want one but my daily drive will be 50 miles in the UK (so only short winter periods of very cold weather) 50% motorway and 50% town driving (Oxford to London). I will be able to charge during the day at work so I only really need a range of 50 miles. However, it has to be reliable and once committed I have no choice but to drive.

What do you think? Will I be able to survive without the REx? I will have the car for 3 years lease.

Thanks for your help.

Mezzadm said:
Hi, new to this forum but just about to order an i3 and I am also having to make the REx decision.

I don't want one but my daily drive will be 50 miles in the UK (so only short winter periods of very cold weather) 50% motorway and 50% town driving (Oxford to London). I will be able to charge during the day at work so I only really need a range of 50 miles. However, it has to be reliable and once committed I have no choice but to drive.

What do you think? Will I be able to survive without the REx? I will have the car for 3 years lease.

Thanks for your help.

Go for the all electric the Rex is a bit noisy. Old technology scooter engine as much as the engineers have tried it doesn't really fit with the quiet nature of the Bev. Bev is quicker as well. Most people will go for this once they can overcome range fear

I was going to get a BEV for the wife and order a Tesla Model X for me. However I decide to add the BMW i3 Rex as my company car first to let the company pay for about 50-70% of the cost of the vehicle.

I have to keep a milage log and know that I go over the BEV range a couple of times a week by about 10-20 miles without the ability to charge during the day. However, about 90% of my driving is within the battery only range. So the BEV would not work as my company car, but it think that the Rex would be ideal. After a year or two, the car gets passed along to the wife.

So, I will have to go with the REx.

I ordered a REX also, delivery end of january
Model I3 Advanced REX + optional Suite design wheels 429, Sunroof, 494 seat & HV bat. , Lead Headlights 5A2, Driving assistance Plus 5AT/AR, Prof navigation 609, Harmon Kardon, Solar orange
Advanced = model with several options included (Comfort pack , .....)

Wow option crazy....

I will have y be a little more restrained. Plus it is a lease car through work so I don't have to worry about resale.

Still would like to know if anyone thinks I need REx or not.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Mezzadm said:
my daily drive will be 50 miles in the UK

Is that one-way or roundtrip? I'll assume it's one-way, so 100 miles a day.

I will be able to charge during the day at work so I only really need a range of 50 miles ... Will I be able to survive without the REx?
I think it depends on how reliable the workplace charging is. At 100 miles roundtrip, you just barely will NOT make it home without stopping someplace to charge for at least a little while, especially during winter. If you are absolutely sure you will be able to charge a bit at work, every day, then I would drop the REx option. Note that even if you have a charging stations at work, EV ownership is exploding and you will find contention for those chargers. You could have days where you can't charge. If you have charging options along your route, then a 20 minute stop at one of those locations would take care of it -- just enough time to get the 10-20 miles of range to put you over the top.

Having driven a Chevy Volt for three years, personally I think going pure EV is the next level of risk^H^H^Hexcitement :) Here in Atlanta, charging infrastructure has become widespread enough that we can now count on find a charging station nearby. Probably won't be DCFC, but still it's a start, and it's getting better by the week.

Yes 50 miles each way with the expectation of congestion.

I work in central London so there are loads of free charging points along the way most are the fast AC type but DC rapid are coming.

I hv placed order for Rex.

I kind of think 80mile range is bit too constraining. Having the Rex gives the peace of mind and also enables you to take the odd 150mile trip. In fact, with the Rex i3 can be your only car.

Without Rex it will be your 2nd car.

To buy such an expensive car(43,000.00 Sterling) without the Rapid DC charger and Rex is not really wise, I think.

regards,
ken

gaz26 said:
Mezzadm said:
Go for the all electric the Rex is a bit noisy. Old technology scooter engine as much as the engineers have tried it doesn't really fit with the quiet nature of the Bev. Bev is quicker as well. Most people will go for this once they can overcome range fear

I test drove the car yesterday.
I did not hear any noise at all when the Rex was running. It was very quiet.

Just to let you know.

Mezzadm said:

Thanks for your help.

You'll need to be absolutely positive you can charge every day at work because you wouldn't be able to make the round trip on battery alone.

I am very similar to you in that I drive about 41 miles each way to work. I can charge at work though. I currently drive a BMW ActiveE and it cannot make the round trip in the winter without charging during the day and the ActiveE has an EPA range rating of 94 miles per charge. It is expected that that i3 will be lower than that, probably somewhere in the low to mid 80's. I really didn't want the REx, but I'm leaning towards getting it now as the range of the i3 will be less than I expected (or hoped for). A slightly larger battery - say 26-28kWh's would have made a huge difference for me (and you actually).

Do you currently ever use the car to go out to lunch or run errands during a break at work? You may not be able to do this as easily if you get the BEV i3, especially in the winter months. I suspect it may only get about 60 miles per charge when it's freezing out (around 32 degrees F)

Latest posts

Back