Will you order all electric or Rex?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomMoloughney said:
Mezzadm said:
Hi, new to this forum but just about to order an i3 and I am also having to make the REx decision.

I don't want one but my daily drive will be 50 miles in the UK (so only short winter periods of very cold weather) 50% motorway and 50% town driving (Oxford to London). I will be able to charge during the day at work so I only really need a range of 50 miles. However, it has to be reliable and once committed I have no choice but to drive.

What do you think? Will I be able to survive without the REx? I will have the car for 3 years lease.

Thanks for your help.

You'll need to be absolutely positive you can charge every day at work because you wouldn't be able to make the round trip on battery alone.

I am very similar to you in that I drive about 41 miles each way to work. I can charge at work though. I currently drive a BMW ActiveE and it cannot make the round trip in the winter without charging during the day and the ActiveE has an EPA range rating of 94 miles per charge. It is expected that that i3 will be lower than that, probably somewhere in the low to mid 80's. I really didn't want the REx, but I'm leaning towards getting it now as the range of the i3 will be less than I expected (or hoped for). A slightly larger battery - say 26-28kWh's would have made a huge difference for me (and you actually).

Do you currently ever use the car to go out to lunch or run errands during a break at work? You may not be able to do this as easily if you get the BEV i3, especially in the winter months. I suspect it may only get about 60 miles per charge when it's freezing out (around 32 degrees F)

Tom. Why do you think BMW didn't just do a bit more to improve battery range with a larger battery. A range of only 60 miles in winter starts to make this look a very expensive car

Hmm.

I am now considering the REx (although I really don't want it). I don't use the car during the day but would be relying on public charge stations (loads where we are).

Having spoken at depth to BMW today they have assured me that my journey is in range but recommend that I have the Winter Pack, Heat Pump and Rapid charge options.

I wish the REx could be retro fitted but it can't (why not??).

Is Rapid Charge is not standard? thought it was standard...

I think the Rapid charge cable is optional to use in public charging...

I have taken the plunge an gambled on the BEv (not REx).

Gulp, hope it works out for London commute...

Mezzadm said:
Having spoken at depth to BMW today they have assured me that my journey is in range but recommend that I have the Winter Pack, Heat Pump and Rapid charge options.

The real world range for i3 is 120 miles, i.e, 60 electric and 60 Rex.
80 to 100mile quote is just business talk and does not happen in real world.

40,000.00£ for 60mile range BEV is rather too risky when there is no rapid chargers. The fast chargers will take upto 4 hours to charge. If you have to charge every day and if you do not have a charger at the work place it can all become a impractical and tedious to stop everyday in a public charger before you go home.

I believe Rex is a safe bet.
Thats why I have gone for Rex.

Just a thought.

kentheteaman said:
Mezzadm said:

The real world range for i3 is 120 miles, i.e, 60 electric and 60 Rex.
80 to 100mile quote is just business talk and does not happen in real world.

40,000.00£ for 60mile range BEV is rather too risky when there is no rapid chargers. The fast chargers will take upto 4 hours to charge. If you have to charge every day and if you do not have a charger at the work place it can all become a impractical and tedious to stop everyday in a public charger before you go home.

I believe Rex is a safe bet.
Thats why I have gone for Rex.

Just a thought.

What's wrong with home charging?

Bill

Bunter said:
kentheteaman said:
Mezzadm said:
What's wrong with home charging?

Bill

Hello Bill,

Nothing wrong with home charging.

It is about the range of 60miles per charge you get. It is too low and constraining. Having a Rex is peace of mind untill the chargers become widespread and you have one guarenteed where ever you park.

Those days are not yet arrived. When we have ubiqutous charging points where ever you park your BEV then 60miles range is fine. Untill then Rex is a great feature to have.

regards,
ken

Mezzadm said:
I will be able to charge during the day at work so I only really need a range of 50 miles.

If you get the two cold weather options and are able to charge at work every day, it should make it. It won't make the round trip without charging.

The £260 Winter Package option is essential. It includes HV battery pre-heating. You should get the Cold Weather Cabin prep too. Besides using less power to run the heat, it allows you to pre-heat the car while it is connected to the charging station. That way you don't use battery power to get the interior warm.

With both of these options the car should be able to go 50 with room to spare. You'd should be able to reject the car and return it BMW as substantially not as advertised if it won't go 50 miles. (This is a UK thing, Americans have different consumer protection laws)

I wouldn't count on there being any useable rapid chargers in the next few months. At least you live in a part of the UK that is likely to see compatible rapid chargers sooner than we will.

Mezzadm said:
I wish the REx could be retro fitted but it can't (why not??).

Massive change. The non-rex car won't have any of the plumbing or wiring. No petrol tank. It won't have the cut out in the body for the petrol filler. The REx car has different springs to make up for the extra weight. Even the rear wheels are different.

kentheteaman said:
Hello Bill,

Nothing wrong with home charging.

It is about the range of 60miles per charge you get. It is too low and constraining. Having a Rex is peace of mind untill the chargers become widespread and you have one guarenteed where ever you park.

Those days are not yet arrived. When we have ubiqutous charging points where ever you park your BEV then 60miles range is fine. Untill then Rex is a great feature to have.

regards,
ken

OK I see what you're getting at but it's all dependent on circumstance. I commute 13 miles each way so hope to get 3 days commute from a single charge when the weather is favourable, 2 on average and maybe 1 when it's really cold (no charging points at work). If you don't have a usage profile that works with electric only by all means buy REX but for me at the moment the all electric should be fine.

Bill

Back