Seriously starting to dislike the i3-please skip if disagree

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epirali

I am starting this thread to get feedback and help, so if you love your i3, think it is great, want to explain why I'm wrong please just skip. I am NOT trying to start a war, but am looking for genuine feedback from other owners who may share some of the sentiment and maybe get some help with sticking with the car.

The brief version: after two weeks with the car I am starting to seriously dislike this car. I find the ride/handling/acceleration/steering way wrong, minor design flaws are seriously bothering me, and all in all am thinking of getting rid of it. I have never had this experience with any other car I've had. So either help talk me down or give me any advice you'd like.

Listed this elsewhere, but things I can't get over:

1) Bouncy ride, yet NOT sporty (worse of all combinations), rather unpleasant even on good roads. Wobbles both side to side and jumps from minor road features (I have tried both over and under inflating the tires, neither helped),
2) Steering is WAY too responsive, this is NOT a sports car!
3) Accelerator pedal pretty much dumps all the power in the first 20% to "pretend" its faster than it should be, combined with way too aggressive a regen,
4) Rear hatch DOES NOT unlock and I have to use the key or press the button EVERY time,
5) Wind noise is very loud over 55 mph, defeats the nice serenity of electric cars,
6) Today I discovered the rain sensor wiper is just insane, it was running slow at high sensitivity when I was driving fast, then when i went slowly it started to wipe FASTER for the same rain interval,
7) Can not believe the car doesn't have keyless entry and homelink standard. For a $25K car I'd have no issue, but for a $53K MSRP car?
8) Marginal audio system,
9) Pretty limited BEV range (really have never gotten more than 70 miles even with careful driving),
10) The remote app range estimation is just garbage. I charged the car last night and at 2am it stated 70 mile range/100%, then this morning before I left it was reporting 93 miles/100% range (and I have seen it jump around on a stationary car). The car itself was reporting 67 miles guess. Seriously?
11) No seat memory for multiple users, again I get it if the car is $25K, but at $53K?
12) When I was parked this morning I noticed the front park sensors kept seeing/not seeing a close obstacle (every second or so the "red area" and the entire section would turn off, then back on again).
13) No percentage of charge left, or ability to hold charge with Rex (yes I know I can "fix" this but I should not have to).

Things I do like:
1) Pleasant interior design/layout,
2) Really like the adaptive cruise control implementation, great for traffic,
3) Like the fold flat rear seats.

No single item is a deal breaker, but all of them put together, with the view that I just wanted a nice commuter EV with extended range, kind of makes it all kinds of wrong. Just asking for advice/feedback/guidance before I make a drastic move. I found the Leaf to be superior in almost all ways, just wanted a car that could do 150 miles (and WAS NOT a Tesla).

Thanks.

You say "please skip if disagree" and "So either help talk me down or give me any advice you'd like." Which is it? And why would someone that agrees be in any way helpful?

I agree with only a minority of your points. They seem to fall into either:
1) Things I've not personally experienced
2) Options you are missing or that need to be coded
3) Dislike of the BMW brand itself on options and ride quality. It sounds like you wouldn't like any BMWs. A Leaf couldn't be more of a marshmallow in it's handling.
4) EV problems in general

If I was you, I'd get rid of it. Life is too short and it sounds to me like you've already decided. A BMW is never going to ride like a Camry, electric or not. The design target was definitely on the sporty side and whether you agree with the way it was targeted is irrelevant. You'll never see 20" performance tires on the Leaf options list.

Did you look at the Volt? Maybe that's more fitting for you. I like my i3, but if I'm honest what I really want is a 3 series with the i3 drivetrain and interior space savings. Unfortunately such a thing doesn't exist yet. I hope it will soon!

spinball said:
You say "please skip if disagree" and "So either help talk me down or give me any advice you'd like." Which is it? And why would someone that agrees be in any way helpful?

I agree with only a minority of your points. They seem to fall into either:
1) Things I've not personally experienced
2) Options you are missing or that need to be coded
3) Dislike of the BMW brand itself on options and ride quality. It sounds like you wouldn't like any BMWs. A Leaf couldn't be more of a marshmallow in it's handling.
4) EV problems in general

If I was you, I'd get rid of it. Life is too short and it sounds to me like you've already decided. A BMW is never going to ride like a Camry, electric or not. The design target was definitely on the sporty side and whether you agree with the way it was targeted is irrelevant. You'll never see 20" performance tires on the Leaf options list.

Did you look at the Volt? Maybe that's more fitting for you. I like my i3, but if I'm honest what I really want is a 3 series with the i3 drivetrain and interior space savings. Unfortunately such a thing doesn't exist yet. I hope it will soon!

I was only trying to make clear I am not trying to start a flame war, nor am I interested in that. So disagreement is fine, I am trying to see what I am missing.

To be clear: I have no issue with a sporty ride, the i3 to me is not a sporty ride. It is choppy, not the same thing. I have quite a few sporty drives, some bordering on punishing, but I appreciate them, they make sense. The i3 ride doesn't make any sense to me. Leaf is not marshmallow in its handling. I have 18 months driving the Leaf. I would NEVER try to corner with it, but the ride is actually quite smooth and sedan like. Specially if you inflate the tires a bit. Nothing like a Camry or Civic.

I have no issue with German suspension/ride (actually it is my preferred ride, mostly Audis). I like my M Roadster ride, love the i8 ride. But the i3 is not that. If a 3 series truly rides like an i3 (I highly doubt it) I would be surprised that it was so popular. The few times I have been in a 3 series I never found the ride objectionable like I find the i3.

Do agree on your point about life is too short, this is kind of like a "reality check" before I pull the trigger.

epirali said:
4) Rear hatch DOES NOT unlock and I have to use the key or press the button EVERY time,
5) Wind noise is very loud over 55 mph, defeats the nice serenity of electric cars,
6) Today I discovered the rain sensor wiper is just insane, it was running slow at high sensitivity when I was driving fast, then when i went slowly it started to wipe FASTER for the same rain interval,
12) When I was parked this morning I noticed the front park sensors kept seeing/not seeing a close obstacle (every second or so the "red area" and the entire section would turn off, then back on again).
These 4 items are not found on my i3. I suggest you take these issues to the dealer for warranty repair.

There is a percent charge left display as of the March software update. The button at the end of the turn signal stalk cycles through many values shown at the top left of the driver's display screen including percent charge remaining.

Setting the car to Eco Pro reduces the accelerator pedal sensitivity, both for acceleration and regen. I personally like the strong initial acceleration because I can squeeze into very small gaps when turning from a stop onto a major road.

It can do a 150 mile trip: I did over 140 miles on Saturday with 15 miles of gasoline range left. I was going between 60 and 70 for most of the trip. Of the three times I've used the REx (I've only had the car 3 weeks) I've gone over 90 miles before the REx engaged. The third time I was mostly driving 75 and still made it 80 miles. But I live at 5000 feet where there is only about 85% as much air as at sea level, probably improving my highway range.

MarkN said:
There is a percent charge left display as of the March software update. The button at the end of the turn signal stalk cycles through many values shown at the top left of the driver's display screen including percent charge remaining.

Setting the car to Eco Pro reduces the accelerator pedal sensitivity, both for acceleration and regen. I personally like the strong initial acceleration because I can squeeze into very small gaps when turning from a stop onto a major road.

It can do a 150 mile trip: I did over 140 miles on Saturday with 15 miles of gasoline range left. I was going between 60 and 70 for most of the trip. Of the three times I've used the REx (I've only had the car 3 weeks) I've gone over 90 miles before the REx engaged. The third time I was mostly driving 75 and still made it 80 miles. But I live at 5000 feet where there is only about 85% as much air as at sea level, probably improving my highway range.

Thanks, I did try Eco Pro, but then it went a little too mushy for my taste. I wish there was something right in between. I have read that one of the software updates tones down the accelerator/regen curves a bit and adds the percent SOC. So one thought is to get through the updates to latest version first. But I also read that Germany has to approve the update "as needed" before they will allow it. I haven't reached out to dealer yet to see if this is true.

If I do end up keeping the car I will change the codes to allow for SOC hold and full use of the gas in the tank (another sore point).

1) I find the ride is quite nice. I realize that it is not a sports car, and I am okay with that.
2) I also find the steering way too responsive. The first time I drove it, it almost caught me off guard. My MR2 also has electric power steering but the assist cuts off over 35 (?) mph. Perhaps the I3 does not? I find it makes me keep two hands on the wheel while driving at highway speeds instead of a one hand driving style.
3) I accelerate slowly for range and the pedal seems fine. No problems after getting used to the regen.
4) Comfort access- works fine.
5) Very little wind noise.
6) New owner. Have not yet driven in the rain.
7) Comfort access.
8) HK- sounds okay to me. Not an audiophile though.
9) Rex. Although oddly driving on the highway and seeing about 30 miles of electric range left I got a bit worried. Have yet to use the Rex. So far the range has met my needs well.
10) Like the remote app so far. Not too worried about true range. (retired). Only really use it for the percent charged. Using L1 at this point.
11) Only me driving it.
12) Have yet to have the front parking sensors lite up. The rears come on but I've yet to start really trusting them. Not sure if I ever will.
13) Just ordered. Have percentage of charge.

So far really like it. 140 miles. Not perfect but it meets my needs. Still having problems getting used to the ACC- think I would just rather have the old stalk cruise control like on my MR2. Would not recognize my music files on the USB drive I used. A lot of things I have yet to figure out, but on the whole I'm happy.

epirali said:
I am starting this thread to get feedback and help, so if you love your i3, think it is great, want to explain why I'm wrong please just skip. I am NOT trying to start a war, but am looking for genuine feedback from other owners who may share some of the sentiment and maybe get some help with sticking with the car.

The brief version: after two weeks with the car I am starting to seriously dislike this car. I find the ride/handling/acceleration/steering way wrong, minor design flaws are seriously bothering me, and all in all am thinking of getting rid of it. I have never had this experience with any other car I've had. So either help talk me down or give me any advice you'd like.

1) Bouncy ride, yet NOT sporty (worse of all combinations), rather unpleasant even on good roads. Wobbles both side to side and jumps from minor road features (I have tried both over and under inflating the tires, neither helped),
3) Accelerator pedal pretty much dumps all the power in the first 20% to "pretend" its faster than it should be, combined with way too aggressive a regen,
7) Can not believe the car doesn't have keyless entry and homelink standard. For a $25K car I'd have no issue, but for a $53K MSRP car?
9) Pretty limited BEV range (really have never gotten more than 70 miles even with careful driving),
10) The remote app range estimation is just garbage. I charged the car last night and at 2am it stated 70 mile range/100%, then this morning before I left it was reporting 93 miles/100% range (and I have seen it jump around on a stationary car). The car itself was reporting 67 miles guess. Seriously?
11) No seat memory for multiple users, again I get it if the car is $25K, but at $53K?
13) No percentage of charge left, or ability to hold charge with Rex (yes I know I can "fix" this but I should not have to).

Things I do like:

No single item is a deal breaker, but all of them put together, with the view that I just wanted a nice commuter EV with extended range, kind of makes it all kinds of wrong. Just asking for advice/feedback/guidance before I make a drastic move. I found the Leaf to be superior in almost all ways, just wanted a car that could do 150 miles (and WAS NOT a Tesla).

Thanks.

I shall try to answer each point in turn, without starting a flame war as you have asked for help in a rational way not whinged about an ill considered purchase.
You bought a Rex Right? so 150 miles range is within the buying criteria, A Nissan Leaf would not give you that especially in winter. Anecdotally some Rex drivers do get good EV mileage potential especially when they precondition the battery - Have you tried that yet ( I appreciate that you are early 2 weeks into ownership so might not have tried that yet.) I saw 98/98 as an ev/Rex range last week, but the software soon drops that as it does depend very much on your driving style and which mode ( Comfort/Eco Pro/ EP+))

I would agree with your comment regarding the tendency of the front wheels to track the camber of the road, This is I think the i3's greatest flaw and no doubt due to the skinny tyres/Tires and a quick steering ratio.. Again anecdotally some owners have reduced that effect by dropping the pressure on the Front Wheels - so I don't know what pressures you have tried or whether you set the same pressures all round but, it is probably worth experimenting a little more to see if you can find something that works. Incidentally it is worth checking that the supplying dealer has set your pressures way to high and not adjusted them prior to delivery - a common failing.

As for the ride/ Handing characteristics, I find the I3 a well balanced car for something with such a short wheelbase. definitely firmer than Leaf, but as you seem to give the impression that you like to press on I'm not sure why you find that a problem. The acceleration 0-40 mph is perhaps the most appealing feature of the car, Faster acceleration than a M3 BMW from the lights is not something to complain about. Again the Leaf is in a lower league on that front.

The Regen characteristic, well you will initially find that strange coming from an ICE, and its definitely more pronounced than any other EV I have driven. Personally I love it !as do most other owners you can virtually dispense with the use of the brake pedal,; use anticipation and your range will benefit enormously too. Have you discovered coasting i.e keeping the power meter in the middle?

Your point 4) doesn't sound right as there is no Key as such, The fob will unlock everything on one press but you need to set your preferences in the I Drive. Read the Manual or get your dealer to show you how to set this up.

Point 5) I can partially agree as at Higher highway speeds I think the I3 would have benefitted from a bit more sound deadening material in the Frunk/Bulkhead area to reduce transmitted road noise. I don't think the i3 generates any more wind noise than other similar shaped cars, but the absence of ICE noise does make that easier to hear.

Point 6) Re the wiper sensitivity, has not been my experience so I would not rule out a fault, or maybe dirt on the sensor? It is not related to the speed of the vehicle. But should related to the intensity of rain falling on the sensor.

Point 7) You may have to forgive my ignorance here as I 'm In the UK not NA you didn't say which 'World' interior you chose, as far as I know the higher grade US specs do offer Homelink and Keyless entry Tera/Giga I think they may be called so If you Bought a Mega ( base spec ) car then No you don't get those but I don't think ( again correct me if I'm wrong ) that a Base Mega is costing anything like $53k. But if you bought stock from a dealer then you must have been able to see/check that before purchase?

Point 8) See answer to point 7) Again Harmon Kardon is available, the base set up is acceptable if your not an audiophile, I do find that people that want Hi fidelity systems in their autos a bit of a puzzle to me as any Car is not really a good environment to appreciate the sound from an expensive set up. Having said that as an Artilleryman going slightly deaf what do I know? :)

Point 9) 70 miles is a good reliable number for a Rex, and in the BMW advised ranges. Some owners can get more with preconditioning, Driving in EP+, coasting etc, But as I noted earlier you give the impression that you like to press on, A Leaf would deliver similar numbers but doesn't of course have the Rex to get you out of trouble.

Point 10) The software for the Guessometer has been updated recently, you need to check with your dealer that this has been applied to your car as it will also give you a % State of charge readout (also see point13)

Point 11) Extra Motors for power seats are an unnecessary bit of extra weight that went against the Design brief and philosophy of the car, I mean Come on how hard is it really to adjust your seat between drivers? I had this feature on my Mercedes S class but I don't really miss it that much as the car is so much more fun to drive. The absence of memory seats is the same as when you decided to purchase the car, so why complain about it now?

Point 12) Have you checked for an insect or dirt something on one of the sensors?

Point 13) You can blame your own Carb Legislators for this, I understand why BMW HAS to do this to get the credits that allow them to continue to sell other ICE vehicles In California, But it is not a problem here in Europe where the REx Hold SOC works just fine. DVD in motion can supply you with a USB stick patch that addresses the issue at fairly nominal cost. I blame America for forcing a Tiny 9L fuel tank on the rest of us; but I don't get upset over it :)

Whatever you decide to do good luck, I would council against bailing at this stage as 1) you will get hit with a big cash drop probably unless you can do a deal with your BMW agent for another BMW.
2) If you do want a German styled car and and EV capability then you might look at the Golf GTE and Audi Etron, both good cars with essentially the same drive train, a somewhat limited 30 mile Ev only range and a 1.4 Tsi petrol motor as a Parallel hybrid. I have driven the Audi its a good car, I was an Audi loyalist for many years but the i3 was Much more fun to drive. Over to you Good luck.

PP

PluviaPlumbum said:
epirali said:

Things I do like:

Thanks.

I shall try to answer each point in turn, without starting a flame war as you have asked for help in a rational way not whinged about an ill considered purchase.
You bought a Rex Right? so 150 miles range is within the buying criteria, A Nissan Leaf would not give you that especially in winter. Anecdotally some Rex drivers do get good EV mileage potential especially when they precondition the battery - Have you tried that yet ( I appreciate that you are early 2 weeks into ownership so might not have tried that yet.) I saw 98/98 as an ev/Rex range last week, but the software soon drops that as it does depend very much on your driving style and which mode ( Comfort/Eco Pro/ EP+))

I would agree with your comment regarding the tendency of the front wheels to track the camber of the road, This is I think the i3's greatest flaw and no doubt due to the skinny tyres/Tires and a quick steering ratio.. Again anecdotally some owners have reduced that effect by dropping the pressure on the Front Wheels - so I don't know what pressures you have tried or whether you set the same pressures all round but, it is probably worth experimenting a little more to see if you can find something that works. Incidentally it is worth checking that the supplying dealer has set your pressures way to high and not adjusted them prior to delivery - a common failing.

As for the ride/ Handing characteristics, I find the I3 a well balanced car for something with such a short wheelbase. definitely firmer than Leaf, but as you seem to give the impression that you like to press on I'm not sure why you find that a problem. The acceleration 0-40 mph is perhaps the most appealing feature of the car, Faster acceleration than a M3 BMW from the lights is not something to complain about. Again the Leaf is in a lower league on that front.

The Regen characteristic, well you will initially find that strange coming from an ICE, and its definitely more pronounced than any other EV I have driven. Personally I love it !as do most other owners you can virtually dispense with the use of the brake pedal,; use anticipation and your range will benefit enormously too. Have you discovered coasting i.e keeping the power meter in the middle?

Your point 4) doesn't sound right as there is no Key as such, The fob will unlock everything on one press but you need to set your preferences in the I Drive. Read the Manual or get your dealer to show you how to set this up.

Point 5) I can partially agree as at Higher highway speeds I think the I3 would have benefitted from a bit more sound deadening material in the Frunk/Bulkhead area to reduce transmitted road noise. I don't think the i3 generates any more wind noise than other similar shaped cars, but the absence of ICE noise does make that easier to hear.

Point 6) Re the wiper sensitivity, has not been my experience so I would not rule out a fault, or maybe dirt on the sensor? It is not related to the speed of the vehicle. But should related to the intensity of rain falling on the sensor.

Point 7) You may have to forgive my ignorance here as I 'm In the UK not NA you didn't say which 'World' interior you chose, as far as I know the higher grade US specs do offer Homelink and Keyless entry Tera/Giga I think they may be called so If you Bought a Mega ( base spec ) car then No you don't get those but I don't think ( again correct me if I'm wrong ) that a Base Mega is costing anything like $53k. But if you bought stock from a dealer then you must have been able to see/check that before purchase?

Point 8) See answer to point 7) Again Harmon Kardon is available, the base set up is acceptable if your not an audiophile, I do find that people that want Hi fidelity systems in their autos a bit of a puzzle to me as any Car is not really a good environment to appreciate the sound from an expensive set up. Having said that as an Artilleryman going slightly deaf what do I know? :)

Point 9) 70 miles is a good reliable number for a Rex, and in the BMW advised ranges. Some owners can get more with preconditioning, Driving in EP+, coasting etc, But as I noted earlier you give the impression that you like to press on, A Leaf would deliver similar numbers but doesn't of course have the Rex to get you out of trouble.

Point 10) The software for the Guessometer has been updated recently, you need to check with your dealer that this has been applied to your car as it will also give you a % State of charge readout (also see point13)

Point 11) Extra Motors for power seats are an unnecessary bit of extra weight that went against the Design brief and philosophy of the car, I mean Come on how hard is it really to adjust your seat between drivers? I had this feature on my Mercedes S class but I don't really miss it that much as the car is so much more fun to drive. The absence of memory seats is the same as when you decided to purchase the car, so why complain about it now?

Point 12) Have you checked for an insect or dirt something on one of the sensors?

Point 13) You can blame your own Carb Legislators for this, I understand why BMW HAS to do this to get the credits that allow them to continue to sell other ICE vehicles In California, But it is not a problem here in Europe where the REx Hold SOC works just fine. DVD in motion can supply you with a USB stick patch that addresses the issue at fairly nominal cost. I blame America for forcing a Tiny 9L fuel tank on the rest of us; but I don't get upset over it :)

Whatever you decide to do good luck, I would council against bailing at this stage as 1) you will get hit with a big cash drop probably unless you can do a deal with your BMW agent for another BMW.
2) If you do want a German styled car and and EV capability then you might look at the Golf GTE and Audi Etron, both good cars with essentially the same drive train, a somewhat limited 30 mile Ev only range and a 1.4 Tsi petrol motor as a Parallel hybrid. I have driven the Audi its a good car, I was an Audi loyalist for many years but the i3 was Much more fun to drive. Over to you Good luck.

PP

Thank you for taking the time, it is appreciated. I am quite used to regen/EVs as a whole, so its not an "ICE car" shock factor, more the drivability factor. You have to work continuously to avoid jerking forward/backwards (I am exaggerating a little). I guess if there was a "Sport" mode like in the i8 I would have made "Comfort" be "Sport" and made an intermediate setting between this and Eco as "comfort," and would also reduce the sensitivity of the wheel (Audi does something very similar or three modes).

I purposefully avoided the "worlds" as I really dislike the interior color. Here in the US you don't get to choose options with suffering from the color, so comfort access and homelink are not in the Mega world. My point more was what kind of logic leaves that out in a car that starts at $47K or ties it to interior color?

You are absolutely correct that our stupid rules are why the REX range is artificially limited or we don't get your basic SOC hold.

I did research pretty well before I got the car, but I guess I just assumed some of the things I knew wouldn't bother me (other behaviors were a surprise). But part of why I posted this thread is I am trying to maybe understand for myself why they are bothering me when so many others do enjoy the car overall. I just don't find the car to have a coherent "character" or "feel."

I am in total agreement about the harsh ride and lack of memory seats. The car seems to skitter over small bumps and chopped up pavement. It is like the high speed compression damping is set way too high so that it feels stiff on rapid suspension movements.

Memory seats and mirrors are a deal-breaker for us, something we did not know when we leased. The i3 is driven equally by both of us and the cockpit gets adjusted at least twice a day and that is evidentially over our limit. Perhaps BMW could remove the turn-signals from the hatch eliminating the duplicates in the bumper and apply the weight savings to adding power seats...

The rain sensors are really crappy as you state. Either too slow or too fast and next to useless in light mist/drizzle. No matter where you set the control, you find yourself reaching for the stalk to give a wipe before it does so automatically.

I have never driven another car with no neutral zone at dead center in the steering. The car just will not keep a straight line and has to be actively steered 100% of the time. It is irritating in traffic and on short trips, but gets downright tiring on a long trip. You just cannot kickback and cruise like in every other car I have owned. It feels like there is too little castor in the front end and thus very little self centering. In a bike I would say it does not have enough trail....

epirali said:
I was only trying to make clear I am not trying to start a flame war, nor am I interested in that. So disagreement is fine, I am trying to see what I am missing.
OK cool. Honestly, every person is going to have their opinion--There is no one car to please all people so I think this is ultimately kind of fruitless for you. I wish it weren't the case but I find it hard to get past that.

epirali said:
To be clear: I have no issue with a sporty ride, the i3 to me is not a sporty ride. It is choppy, not the same thing. I have quite a few sporty drives, some bordering on punishing, but I appreciate them, they make sense. The i3 ride doesn't make any sense to me. Leaf is not marshmallow in its handling. I have 18 months driving the Leaf. I would NEVER try to corner with it, but the ride is actually quite smooth and sedan like. Specially if you inflate the tires a bit. Nothing like a Camry or Civic.
Ok, good to know where you're coming from. To me cornering is handling thus my marshmallow comment. Ride quality is another thing but I guess that may be pedantic. :D I wouldn't recommend an i3 / any BMW to those that prefer a softer ride.

I think the steering is extremely quick and could be a bit looser at high speeds.

You know you can completely ignore the rain sensing wipers, right? They will function just like any other car if you leave the auto setting off (which is the default when you start the car).

Sorry it's not working out for you. If you get something else be sure to let us know how it is after two weeks or so.

I have no viable alternatives at the moment, which tells you how much it's bugging me if I still am considering bailing.

Handling and choppy ride are not interrelated (usually).

I use my i3 to commute in and out of Manhattan every day. Fifty six to sixty miles round trip in sun, rain or snow. Since December 1st, 2014. I have not spent a dime on gas for this commute. The ride is very comfortable as I almost never go above 60 mph and the roads I drive on are amongst the worst (potholes/broken pavement) in the world. The climate control system is fantastic as it is able to keep me comfortable in 4 degree and 94 degree weather. Nothing on this car has broken or need to be serviced. It is wonderful in the 70% of my commute which is bumper to bumper stop and go. I can think of no better car I have driven for this. I have enough power to sneak in and out of tight spots and LOVE the strong regen as I almost never need to use the brakes if I time it right. The seats are supremely comfortable and, as I almost am the only one driving this car, I do not need memory seats and like the manual adjustment. My only disappointment in the car is the lack of AM radio but I am very happy with the HK sound system which I have. I find the interior materials warm and inviting regardless of the weather. I guess what I am saying is that I am very happy with the vehicle. I have 7000 miles on it now and look forward to many years of NYC driving with it.

Is it possible that your purchase was not based on the job that the vehicle is being asked to do? I think this is one of the best city commuting cars ever. I would not choose it for long distance or high speed travel with multiple drivers. JMHO.

Hi,

I ‘m not trying to defend BMW here, but I want to try to take a look at some of your points from the other side, the automakers. In the early development stages of i3, it wasn’t alltogether clear if the car would be produced at all. Until the family Quandt, the largest sharholder -slash- investor since the 60’s (Google if needed), chimed in. It was stipulated the car was to be developed for production, it had to be revolutionairy in a way that the company could learn from for future products, and it wasn’t to be sold at a loss. This last point is essentialy what is bothering lots of people, because some sacrificies had to be made to be able to sell this exceptionally expensive to produce car for a reasonable amount of money. Just take a look at the production videos at Youtube or some of Munro’s videos.
They [BMW] can argue that a 3-phase charger didn’t fit, ran too hot, wasn’t nescesarry, or that power seats are to heavy, but the fact of the matter is, IMHO, that lots of features were simply penciled out to make the bill fit. A reasonable strategy in my opinion, although I would really have liked to get the true adaptive headlights as they were designed.

This is of course no excuse for the strange packages you US customers have to choose from (where we EU folks can order a la carte allmost everything bar the homelinc option whis isn’t available here at all), or the reason the ride is to harsh (yes, I share your opinion that the setup of the chassis needs improvement - there are lots of cars with similar wheelbase with excellent ride quality to prove that point). Some things are just not thought out well enough, again in my opinion.

For the rest (steering, throttle/regen response etc.), I’m sure it’s not to everyones’ liking, but I, myself, have come to terms with them and, I have to admit, come to like them rather well over time. But forget I said that, for this thread shouldn’t be about love or hate…

Regards from the Netherlands, Steven

Just out of curiosity, did you test drive the vw egolf? I'd be interested in your comparison. I suspect not since you bought a Rex and the egolf is only bev. I test drove the i3, but it didn't go beyond that. The wife wanted a more conventional look and the 9,000 difference was hard to swallow.

Since buying the egolf, I've come to like the 4 regen levels, fobless lock/unlock, 2 full rear doors, 100 mile range etc. It feels like a luxury compact, driving and handling like a 328i.

Ron

I'm not going to defend or support the car.

It's just a car. It's not a life style or a way of life.

I have owned many cars. None are perfect, all are compromises.

Sell it and get the one you like. Regardless of cost, it's not the most important thing in the world.

Life is way too short to spend compulsively noting the problems with a method of transportation.

And, having said that, I find the car with noted pros and cons, but nothing I can't accommodate.

Comfort access would have solved some of your issues.

The range left is based on the last 18-miles of your driving, so as conditions change, and that includes the temperature, the range can and often will vary. That's the way EV's work, as do ICE cars. My ICE's estimate of range to empty can be way off. I don't consider that a deal breaker...I look at the amount of fuel/energy left, and use my head to decide if I can make it. If you're using the nav system, it will tell you if you can make it or not and prompt you for either gas or EVSE locations along the way if you wish. It throws in the knowledge of the terrain, which you may or may not be well informed about - climbing a grade sucks electrons much faster than coming down that hill.

Do you have the 20" wheels? The ride is different with that option, and to my feeling, very much for the worse. So, it seems at least some of the issues you have would be solved with better choices on options.

MGS9500 said:
I'm not going to defend or support the car.

It's just a car. It's not a life style or a way of life.

I have owned many cars. None are perfect, all are compromises.

Sell it and get the one you like. Regardless of cost, it's not the most important thing in the world.

Life is way too short to spend compulsively noting the problems with a method of transportation.

And, having said that, I find the car with noted pros and cons, but nothing I can't accommodate.

It's not compulsive for me. I actually love cars, appreciate them, and learn from analyzing their behavior, character etc. I am trying to get feedback to others, agree, disagree, it teaches me something.

For me I am not willing to accommodate a car, it needs to be true to itself and robe with care. I can not begin to state the difference in the perfection of the i8 and the miss of the i3.

jadnashuanh said:
Comfort access would have solved some of your issues.

The range left is based on the last 18-miles of your driving, so as conditions change, and that includes the temperature, the range can and often will vary. That's the way EV's work, as do ICE cars. My ICE's estimate of range to empty can be way off. I don't consider that a deal breaker...I look at the amount of fuel/energy left, and use my head to decide if I can make it. If you're using the nav system, it will tell you if you can make it or not and prompt you for either gas or EVSE locations along the way if you wish. It throws in the knowledge of the terrain, which you may or may not be well informed about - climbing a grade sucks electrons much faster than coming down that hill.

Do you have the 20" wheels? The ride is different with that option, and to my feeling, very much for the worse. So, it seems at least some of the issues you have would be solved with better choices on options.

No skipped 20 after reading the forums. I am familiar with range estimation, driving style etc. But a car just sitting there should NOT change range estimate by that much. It hasn't updated any driving style from being parked. Must be a bug.

cove3 said:
Just out of curiosity, did you test drive the vw egolf? I'd be interested in your comparison. I suspect not since you bought a Rex and the egolf is only bev. I test drove the i3, but it didn't go beyond that. The wife wanted a more conventional look and the 9,000 difference was hard to swallow.

Since buying the egolf, I've come to like the 4 regen levels, fobless lock/unlock, 2 full rear doors, 100 mile range etc. It feels like a luxury compact, driving and handling like a 328i.

Ron

I have not, a coworker is seriously looking at one. As you pointed out I was looking specifically for the Rex so unfortunately the e-golf doesn't have enough range.

Do you get a real 100 miles in the summer from mixed driving?

Back