Seriously starting to dislike the i3-please skip if disagree

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the scheduled software updates will unlock the cable when the car is fully charged. I hope you have a choice, or it is configurable.

If you use the app, you can tell when it is fully charged. You can call BMW and they can unlock it for you, then, you can relock it, so there is a work around if you do not want to go down and do it yourself. This assumes there is cellular coverage where you park the car.

Actually I am familiar with the idea from the Tesla Roadster. It has a strong regen when you take you for off the pedal and there is no coasting. It's the same as the i3. I actually always loved the one pedal drive, so it's not new to me. The curve for the pedal, however, is way too aggressive for the i3. I am looking forward to a less aggressive curve, but not reducing max regen.

So on the charger locking: in Europe that makes sense, you remove the cord and plug in yours. But as everyone keeps saying this is a city car how did BMW think people in cities would use public charging infrastructure. And this is something that can be controlled by setting, so accommodating both styles was trivial. What happens when you plug into a public charger and essentially "lock it up?"

jadnashuanh said:
One of the scheduled software updates will unlock the cable when the car is fully charged. I hope you have a choice, or it is configurable.

If you use the app, you can tell when it is fully charged. You can call BMW and they can unlock it for you, then, you can relock it, so there is a work around if you do not want to go down and do it yourself. This assumes there is cellular coverage where you park the car.

Sorry didn't see this. So can anyone confirm new setting for locking charge port? I appreciate the workaround but that's a bit much for me.

As I understand it, there is a s/w update that everyone will get that will bring their vehicle to a common point probably in the fall. Corporate policy is to not apply interim updates except to fix something that is broken, and this doesn't qualify. So, we have to wait for a general s/w update, which is actually fairly rare on BMW's. To do a s/w update on the i3, the dealer hooks the car up to their computer, and BMW in Germany decides what is needed...if it doesn't meet their guidelines, the dealer doesn't get paid and it doesn't happen. In the year I've had my i3, there have been two s/w updates that everyone was eligible for and most people had applied. Not sure how many little things have changed since my last one, but one of them is the display of a numeric SOC that some complain about being missing. You'll get it in the next generic update unless you have a problem, and then the car will be updated to the latest that's available when they fix whatever needed that update. Note, most things do not require s/w updates during a repair. On my other car, they needed to replace the TPMS receiver. It didn't work until they updated the vehicle, and in that process, it got all of the latest tweaks. In reality, I didn't notice any differences, but I'm sure some things were tweaked.

It can take most of the day to update all of the firmware in the i3.

jadnashuanh said:
As I understand it, there is a s/w update that everyone will get that will bring their vehicle to a common point probably in the fall. Corporate policy is to not apply interim updates except to fix something that is broken, and this doesn't qualify. So, we have to wait for a general s/w update, which is actually fairly rare on BMW's. To do a s/w update on the i3, the dealer hooks the car up to their computer, and BMW in Germany decides what is needed...if it doesn't meet their guidelines, the dealer doesn't get paid and it doesn't happen. In the year I've had my i3, there have been two s/w updates that everyone was eligible for and most people had applied. Not sure how many little things have changed since my last one, but one of them is the display of a numeric SOC that some complain about being missing. You'll get it in the next generic update unless you have a problem, and then the car will be updated to the latest that's available when they fix whatever needed that update. Note, most things do not require s/w updates during a repair. On my other car, they needed to replace the TPMS receiver. It didn't work until they updated the vehicle, and in that process, it got all of the latest tweaks. In reality, I didn't notice any differences, but I'm sure some things were tweaked.

It can take most of the day to update all of the firmware in the i3.

Great info thanks. I'll try Monday and see what happens but won't hold out any hopes.

I have the current software on my car with SoC and the charging cable is locked if the car is locked. Doesn't matter to me as (so far) I've only charged at home. I wonder what else is in this fall update?

epirali said:
The i3 so far is not a success by sales.

For the US only, including May, the i3 pushing towards 10% of the US EV market, the only cars doing better are the Tesla, Leaf and Volt. Like any production car, sure they would like to sell more, but they're doing just fine.

http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

spinball said:
I've read that I Europe, the cable is usually owned by the driver, thus the locking is preferred. Would need confirmation from someone that lives there.
Yes, in UK I use my own cable so for it to be unlocked would be a risk I would not want.

I33t said:
epirali said:
The i3 so far is not a success by sales.

For the US only, including May, the i3 pushing towards 10% of the US EV market, the only cars doing better are the Tesla, Leaf and Volt. Like any production car, sure they would like to sell more, but they're doing just fine.

http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Well, considering those are the only EVs that are on sale across the entire U.S. (Like the i3) I believe being fourth of 4 for a luxury car, specially one with the advantage of Rex, proves my point. Explains why they reduced production for the i3.

Fwiw sone of the resistance imo is price. I think tesla wins for the status conscious and for those who want electric only long range, and for others the Leaf and Volt are more economical and offer equivalent functionality.

And honestly would you call this "whining" from someone who likes the car overall? Just found this today and he covers most of the same points:

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/06/after-2000-miles-part-two-dislikes.html

epirali said:
And honestly would you call this "whining" from someone who likes the car overall? Just found this today and he covers most of the same points:

Well done for finding Tom's excellent blog through googling. It helped me a lot when I looked into buying the i3. Tom and his guest bloggers provide incredibly helpful insights into the car and its competitors. Tom also acts as a great link to BMW i America.

As you might have noticed, he also posted this
http://bmwi3.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/after-2000-miles-likes.html

before writing about his dislikes. He also (and here is the important bit) didn't ask the rest of his readers to skip the post in case they disagree.

Anyway, I won't take up more of your time now, so you can read more of these threads you keep finding, which you could have considered reading before you got the i3.

Bonne Route!

Every other EV (and the Volt is not technically anywhere similar) that was listed has been on sale for multiple years. As a result, people have been exposed to them. BMW did very little advertising on the i3, and it has only been out barely a year in the US marketplace. And, was designed for a different purpose. The Volt is designed as an ICE replacement with its 3x larger ICE than the optional one in the REx, and bigger gas tank (and the fact it was built on an ICE chassis). The Tesla is HUGE in comparison, and was designed for longer trips. The Leaf is the only one that is similar, but lacks (not an issue for me!) an ICE range extender. Out of sight, out of mind. Also as the price of gasoline has dropped, some that might have become interested, are no longer. Personally, I think given those facts, BMW is doing quite well with the sales. Worldwide, given the design and production methodology, about 50K/year pretty much tops things out on the i3. The US seems to be selling around 2K/month, or about half of the maximum production capacity. BMW expanded production because the demand was greater than they expected. They spent over $200M to aid the expansion of the CF facility in Washington. Expecting a larger sales would have dictated a different design, and you're seeing that in the new 7-series in the way they incorporate CFRP into the design, and will likely be similar to all new BMWs as they are up for a major update. Those methods lend themselves to much larger production cycles, with the ability to keep the costs down.

One extensive engineering teardown of the i3 reported they can easily be making money at their current sales volume. And, there were lots of innovations people are not likely to see unless they tore theirs apart, either. THey spent over $2M reverse engineering the i3, and the bits of that report that they've released as teasers for free are quite enlightening...the whole report is lots of money if you want to buy a copy.

I'm not sure BMW expected a bigger market than 50K/year, so approaching it was somewhat of a surprise to them. The next version, if it expects larger volume, will have differences. But, weight is always an issue. Think about the Tesla if they'd taken the same care to keep the weight down in the chassis...longer range from the existing battery pack. Lots of ways that vehicle could be better, too.

The creature comforts they left out of the i3 (electric seats, mirrors, with memory), multizone climate control, heated rear seats, and the list could go on, may be important to some, but were left out for a reason - weight and range impacts.

psquare said:
epirali said:

Well done for finding Tom's excellent blog through googling. It helped me a lot when I looked into buying the i3. Tom and his guest bloggers provide incredibly helpful insights into the car and its competitors. Tom also acts as a great link to BMW i America.

As you might have noticed, he also posted this
http://bmwi3.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/after-2000-miles-likes.html

before writing about his dislikes. He also (and here is the important bit) didn't ask the rest of his readers to skip the post in case they disagree.

Anyway, I won't take up more of your time now, so you can read more of these threads you keep finding, which you could have considered reading before you got the i3.

Bonne Route!

I read the likes too, that is why I specifically pointed out its from someone who likes the i3 a lot. My point was that unlike what some here keep insisting its not just me who noticed these issues. I still don't agree with the attitude that flaws in a car are the fault of the owner who "should have known better." It would be refreshingly honest, if like Tom, the owners who loved the car could also point out the issues rather than try to discount the message.

It's interesting that no matter what I say there is an insistence on blaming the messenger. So be it. I tried to have a civil discussion once on the Tesla forums as they were mocking the i8 without knowing anything about it. Naively I pointed out the strengths of the car. The response I got was very similar to one I am getting here.

So I'll rephrase what I said there but changing the brand: I really like what BMW is trying to do, it's a shame some BMW owners are determined to turn people off the brand.

epirali said:
I tried to have a civil discussion once on the Tesla forums as they were mocking the i8 without knowing anything about it. Naively I pointed out the strengths of the car. The response I got was very similar to one I am getting here.

What a surprise. If you phrased your i8 discussion on the Tesla forums like you did here, you would have gotten a similar response.

No-one here is claiming the i3 is perfect, there are only a handful of whiners here, and some have gotten over it. Perhaps they got rid of the car, or perhaps they decided they actually liked it. What Tom did was to carefully itemise what he liked and disliked, not create a derogatory forum post asking anyone who disagreed to stay away. Great problem solving attitude from someone who claims to be an engineer.

Look in the mirror, and if you have an good engineering eye, you just might notice the reason for the responses you got.

I33t said:
epirali said:
I tried to have a civil discussion once on the Tesla forums as they were mocking the i8 without knowing anything about it. Naively I pointed out the strengths of the car. The response I got was very similar to one I am getting here.

What a surprise. If you phrased your i8 discussion on the Tesla forums like you did here, you would have gotten a similar response.

No-one here is claiming the i3 is perfect, there are only a handful of whiners here, and some have gotten over it. Perhaps they got rid of the car, or perhaps they decided they actually liked it. What Tom did was to carefully itemise what he liked and disliked, not create a derogatory forum post asking anyone who disagreed to stay away. Great problem solving attitude from someone who claims to be an engineer.

Look in the mirror, and if you have an good engineering eye, you just might notice the reason for the responses you got.

Actually that post was just a description of the i8. I think it just has to do with fragility of people's decision making, they are easily threatened if their beliefs are not affirmed.

And again reading the thread you would see that I wasn't trying to get people to stay away, but rather to not invite exactly your kind of repeatedly reactive postings. It actually has made me dislike my car more (yes unfair to the car) and I don't think even helps people who may end up having a different opinion about the i3 than me. It's just a continual personal attacks disguised as "comments."

epirali said:
And again reading the thread you would see that I wasn't trying to get people to stay away, but rather to not invite exactly your kind of repeatedly reactive postings. It actually has made me dislike my car more (yes unfair to the car) and I don't think even helps people who may end up having a different opinion about the i3 than me. It's just a continual personal attacks disguised as "comments."

That's not the selective title you claim you posted, "I wasn't trying to get people to stay away". It's what's called a dog whistle, or a troll post. You say you wanted people who agreed with how you disliked the car to join the thread, and anyone who disagreed with you to stay away. If that actually worked, what use would the topic be? Only those people who can't solve the issues that are solveable should read it? That's not how forums work, anyone can join the discussion. In this case, the title actually calls people who disagree with you to respond. In essence, the title itself is a personal attack on anyone who disagrees with you.

I33t said:
epirali said:

That's not the selective title you claim you posted, "I wasn't trying to get people to stay away". It's what's called a dog whistle, or a troll post. You say you wanted people who agreed with how you disliked the car to join the thread, and anyone who disagreed with you to stay away. If that actually worked, what use would the topic be? Only those people who can't solve the issues that are solveable should read it? That's not how forums work, anyone can join the discussion. In this case, the title actually calls people who disagree with you to respond. In essence, the title itself is a personal attack on anyone who disagrees with you.

You know I know my intent much better than you. You said this before and I explained the title only allows so many characters. It's not the best chosen title but my intent is what I say, not what you think. Honestly your interpretation is a bit paranoid.

You might know your intent, but what you type is your communication of your intent. We are not mind readers you know!

I33t said:
You might know your intent, but what you type is your communication of your intent. We are not mind readers you know!

I do get that, and I apologize if my title post was badly worded. But I have repeatedly state that was not my intent. I have tried multiple times to explain and clarify. That is all one can do. I have no power if you don't want to accept my explanation.

Back