Do you have an i3 on order and awaiting delivery?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered 2nd March for delivery end of august. Just been told it will now be december. Apparently leather is the problem but i dont see it causing 40 week lead times in the USA.

Very disappointed.

The variance in lead times from order to delivery is puzzling. I put in my order on March 23, and I took delivery on July 3.

It would have been sooner, but the car was held at the port for 3 weeks. I was told the delay was a major navigation update...perhaps it was related to the missing nav issue that was reported on earlier cars.

jackt said:
sasman said:
Can we track our i3 here in the UK?

I had a discussion with my dealer about the North American tracking website. Unfortunately, its unique to North America and theres nothing like that customer facing in Europe.

So your stuck with updates from the dealer, that said I have had an update each month since I ordered, so I can't really grumble either way.

Your signature says delivery expected on 10 July. .. that's today... how did it go... have fun ...

jackt said:
sasman said:
Can we track our i3 here in the UK?

I had a discussion with my dealer about the North American tracking website. Unfortunately, its unique to North America and theres nothing like that customer facing in Europe.

So your stuck with updates from the dealer, that said I have had an update each month since I ordered, so I can't really grumble either way.

I've tried on my last two vehicles to do this in the UK. I found the great US sites and all the blogs forums that go with that. Just doesn't work for us as we don't get a production number. UK dealers seem to have some system and I have a printout of that but as far as I am aware at the moment there is no way to track European orders. I guess they feel that BMW NA needs to keep the client happy. Also I think having the VIN number and ability to check the shipping manifests is something we don't get to on the short haul from Hamburg. Note that this is worked about by folks not provided by BMW per se. Although I believe it's the same ships that stop off in Felixstowe on the way out west.

My sales guy is obviously reading these posts as he won't lend me a demo car for another extended test drive. He says they are "mileage limited". Must have realised they'll be able to sell these at a premium if they don't rack up too many miles. Wonder who owns the vehicle. The dealer? Or BMW group with the dealer just acting as an "agent"?

Gonville said:
My sales guy is obviously reading these posts as he won't lend me a demo car for another extended test drive. He says they are "mileage limited". Must have realised they'll be able to sell these at a premium if they don't rack up too many miles. Wonder who owns the vehicle. The dealer? Or BMW group with the dealer just acting as an "agent"?

All owned by BMW and not for resale I was told so in other words order new one as not going to be able to buy nearly new ones, not from dealer anyway.

Gonville said:
All owned by BMW and not for resale I was told so in other words order new one as not going to be able to buy nearly new ones, not from dealer anyway.
My dealer (Chapman in Chandler, AZ) had a REX Mega demo unit without the standard nav (no nav at all). The next week (end of July) they said it was sold and delivered, with a promise to add the nav later. That left them with no i3's at all. I wonder if I got the straight scoop on it.

Mine was ordered on June 3rd and completed production on July 4th. Since then the 800# says that production is complete and I am now "awaiting release to the carrier." I haven't bothered to call and actually speak with a person to see if I can get more details.

*sigh* I hate waiting.

We ordered our BEV with Tera trim around end of May. It was put on the boat on July 6th. Hopefully we'll see it in Seattle in mid-August. After reading some of the posts, we feel really lucky that we're getting it as quickly as we are.

I called the Concierge service for a shipping update and recommend doing so. They had updated info and told me it was en route. The dealer confirmed a few days later.

IT all comes down to how many BMW and your local division negotiated for and got in their allocation. Until production can outstrip demand, you're stuck. Say they allocated 10% of the production to the UK, and 30% to the USA, if the UK pipeline is running dry, at least for now, they aren't going to strip some away from the USA's negotiated allotment to augment it. BMW started out quite conservative on how many they expected to sell, and that fairly quickly became evident it was too low. It takes time to ramp up production while maintaining quality. THen, you do not know for sure if the current volumes are going to be maintained, so you don't want to spend a huge amount of money upgrading production capabilities, then find out much of it sits idle once it's built as demand stabilizes.

here's my 2 pennies worth....

Ordered March 26th (Rex), was told December delivery (which is still the case) - had a moment of clarity and decided to spend more of the kids uni fund on the car and put more extras on, so updated the spec and delivery of Dec is still the case. I feel like I am in prison scratching every day off the wall until 'release'.

In the meantime I have had missed calls from my dealer which gets me excited as I think he's going to tell me delivery is now July or August and the December date was just a sick game to play with my head & emotions...unfortunately not. When I call back it's to see whether I want to add more spec (the noise thing so I don't kill anyone....whats the point of that I replied) or it's to find a slightly creepy 'personal vdo' he has sent me thanking me for my business but still rubs my nose in the fact that delivery is December.

So far I am finding the whole waiting experience an interesting social experiment - I'm not patent in the slightest but clearly the I3 has unlocked a side of me I did not know existed.

I look forward to December like never before in my life.....

so while waiting for my order to enter production I figured I would pass sometime by getting a charger installed. Based on forum recommendations I ordered the Clipper Creek HSC-40 hard wired charger. Met with the electrician and discussed the installation and took on the manual labor part of digging the trench and installing the conduit to run the wire. Well the summer heat and humidity nearly killed me but after several hours of sweating the conduit was buried. Electrician came over today and we pulled the wire, went with 6 gauge in case I ever need to upgrade to a 50amp charger, and I assisted pulling the wire. Process went quick and a couple of hours later it was done. Now back to watching the grass grow while waiting for production to begin.
p219782215-4.jpg

p260337112-4.jpg

Zzzoom3 said:
Saw a REx in Laurel Grey in Mega World trim with the 20" wheels. Loved it :p

I was able to have a future dealer BEV order modified to match the trim and option packages. Thought I would be waiting until Oct but the order production was moved up and I am waiting for it to be shipped ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5LVemnP3B4sUGlnY2hRakh0N0U/edit?usp=sharing

Lou

Can't get confirmation if this is the boat my car is on. It left Bremerhaven on Friday night and is called the "Elektra". Kind of ironic don't you think! The next boat to the U.S. West Coast is not for 2 more weeks :(

Leaving Bremerhaven Friday night: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5LVemnP3B4sYk8tMDdYODdFbzA/edit?usp=sharing
Leaving Zeebrugge Sunday night: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5LVemnP3B4sVFdRcVFUZ2cyWWs/edit?usp=sharing

Lou ..

Zzzoom3 said:
Zzzoom3 said:
Saw a REx in Laurel Grey in Mega World trim with the 20" wheels. Loved it :p

I was able to have a future dealer BEV order modified to match the trim and option packages. Thought I would be waiting until Oct but the order production was moved up and I am waiting for it to be shipped ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5LVemnP3B4sUGlnY2hRakh0N0U/edit?usp=sharing

Lou

Can't get confirmation if this is the boat my car is on. It left Bremerhaven on Friday night and is called the "Elektra". Kind of ironic don't you think! The next boat to the U.S. West Coast is not for 2 more weeks :(

Leaving Bremerhaven Friday night: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5LVemnP3B4sYk8tMDdYODdFbzA/edit?usp=sharing
Leaving Zeebrugge Sunday night: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5LVemnP3B4sVFdRcVFUZ2cyWWs/edit?usp=sharing

Lou ..

Were you not able to get your VIN? Because that car can be tracked to that ship if you have the VIN.

AviatorMan said:
Were you not able to get your VIN? Because that car can be tracked to that ship if you have the VIN.
Yes, I have the Production # and the VIN. I get "No Records Found" on the WWL tracking site. The dealer report doesn't show the vessel yet. So it's either not on the Elektra or the databases haven't updated yet over the weekend (my hope). If it doesn't show up tomorrow, I guess I'll know it's gonna be a few more weeks! Se La Vie

Received a note from the dealer today, my i3 is set for production and will be on the boat in a few weeks!

We were told November delivery but it's looking more like late August/September for the first Aussie deliveries now.

Ordered June 26th. Dealer had 2 on the lot but not what we wanted. They reconfigured one of their scheduled allotment to get it faster. Was told earliest possible delivery date was Aug 21st (8 weeks). More likely to be Sept 4th (10 weeks). Car finished production July 12th. Now at port waiting to ship. No shipping info available yet.

Back