Do you have an i3 on order and awaiting delivery?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AviatorMan said:
Yes but are those typical situations? I don't think the current wait time for a US i3 is two months, although I don't know exactly what that time is.

Actually, its pretty close.

I live in the US and ordered mine on June 2nd. It was completed on July 4th and is currently on the Columbia Highway which should dock in Baltimore on the 30th. With any luck I should have it sometime before the middle of August which is just over 2 months. When I placed they order they quoted me approximately 10 weeks which looks to be spot on.

I ordered on June 22rd, and was told 6-8 weeks. Looks like it will hit the Port Hueneme, CA on Aug 16th. Aug 17 is exactly 8 weeks, and it will probably be a few days later, as it will take some time to clear customs, get transported to Chandler, AZ, and then dealer prepped for delivery.

For mine, there was 10 days order to production complete, 10 more days to get to the Bremerhaven port past customs, and 6 more days to get on a ship. Bremerhaven to Port Hueneme is estimated at 28 days.

If a US dealer has an unsold car in the order process, he can assign it to a person, and the wait to get one built may only be literally days before that starts. If the order is entirely new to the system, it will take a lot longer and probably similar to what is being seen elsewhere in the world, and shipping times would also come into that (it takes a lot longer to get to say California than it does to the UK! from Germany). But, given that there are still unallocated vehicles coming into the USA, one of those may be assigned to that order, and it could show up early if the build matches what the customer wanted. Until or if the situation gets to all of the vehicles landed have already been sold (probably like in the UK), someone in the US will probably be able to get one quicker. Give the situation a few months...the first i3's were only delivered here in early May 2014...in six months time, the situation may be quite different. It is going to take BMW longer than that to expand production much more, and who knows how the demand will hold up.

It's the same thing with any popular new product. But, as opposed to say something like a new iPhone, you can't store a bunch of them in the warehouse prior to the first sales day...the cars take up too much room, and the capital costs are a bit more per unit! The profit margin is a lot different as well.

This may or may not be of any use to UK orders, but may order has just jumped forward from September to this friday.

Its probably worth mentioning I did not pick leather, and that appears to be the point of contention.

By contrast with jackt, I had requested an update yesterday and my (non-leather) order was still on the original scheduled delivery date of week 36. It's difficult to understand these seemingly random patterns.

RJSATLBA said:
By contrast with jackt, I had requested an update yesterday and my (non-leather) order was still on the original scheduled delivery date of week 36. It's difficult to understand these seemingly random patterns.

Isn't it irritating how people who are ordering their cars now are getting them pretty quickly (no offense to you lucky bastards). I ordered mine in January and it's supposed to be delivered to the dealer on Saturday. Almost 8 months... The delays really make you scratch your head sometimes.

jgetz said:
RJSATLBA said:

Isn't it irritating how people who are ordering their cars now are getting them pretty quickly (no offense to you lucky bastards). I ordered mine in January and it's supposed to be delivered to the dealer on Saturday. Almost 8 months... The delays really make you scratch your head sometimes.
In the U.S. the lucky bastards, like myself, who walk in and say we would like to order an i3 are being slipped into dealer allocated orders that are scheduled for production already but are not yet sold. Once you plunk down a deposit, the dealer has the order moved into a pre-sold status and the order priority gets moved before any unsold vehicles. This doesn't guarantee the production will move up but often does get it built sooner to what was originally scheduled.

My production number was originally scheduled for week 31. After I effectively claimed that dealer order by putting down my deposit, it moved up 4 weeks. It was shipped last Saturday and it left Southampton UK this morning on the way across the pond now.

We are getting planned production allocated to the US. We are not bumping other countries allocations IMO.

My production number was originally scheduled for week 31. After I effectively claimed that dealer order by putting down my deposit, it moved up 4 weeks. It was shipped last Saturday and it left Southampton UK this morning on the way across the pond now.

US quota coming via UK..made me chuckle...

sithsmith23 said:

US quota coming via UK..made me chuckle...
Yep that is funny. All the boats seem to stop there. I presume to drop off some cars and pick up the Mini Coopers?

RJSATLBA said:
My order placed 22 Jan still does not appear due until 25 Aug and its non leather. I really wonder what BMW are doing!

MikeS said:
RJSATLBA said:
My order placed 22 Jan still does not appear due until 25 Aug and its non leather. I really wonder what BMW are doing!

I think they could be sorting some issues on earlier builds so hopefully from now on sorted.

My i3 is on the W&W Manon scheduled to arrive at the NJ/NY VDC Port on August 7. Approximately how many days @ the VDC and trucking to PA dealership?

I ordered an Andesite Silver Tera BEV, all options with 20" wheels, on February 7th. It started production June 2nd, finished production on June 12th, and is now on a ship (Carmen) headed for Oxnard in southern California. It is scheduled to arrive at port July 25th, at dealership in Santa Rosa on July 31st. Production #0607184.

Lola said:
I ordered an Andesite Silver Tera BEV, all options with 20" wheels, on February 7th. It started production June 2nd, finished production on June 12th, and is now on a ship (Carmen) headed for Oxnard in southern California. It is scheduled to arrive at port July 25th, at dealership in Santa Rosa on July 31st. Production #0607184.
She's just west of the Navy Airfield on San Clemente Island. Due in at 0500 tomorrow. Cool! Looks like you'll be an electronaut soon. Are you excited?

I ordered mid-May. Dealer was able to modify a I3 already in cue. I ordered a BEV Terra with all options except no 20 inch wheels.

Went into Production July 10th, finished July 18th. Currently awaiting shipment to the US.

Production order 0723108.

Ordered June 26th.
Car finished production July 12th.
My dealer told me yesterday (July 23rd) that it Sailed out of Bremerhaven for Port Bayonne NJ (by way of Sweden, Belgium, UK, & Canada) on the Manon. Scheduled to arrive in U.S. on August 7.
However the live tracking at http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:8.566045/centery:53.56384/zoom:8/mmsi:566184000# shows that it actually left today.

Also ordered my EVSE from Clipper Creek today.

EVFitter said:
Ordered June 26th.
My dealer told me yesterday (July 23rd) that it Sailed out of Bremerhaven for Port Bayonne NJ (by way of Sweden, Belgium, UK, & Canada) on the Manon. Scheduled to arrive in U.S. on August 7.
However the live tracking at http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:8.566045/centery:53.56384/zoom:8/mmsi:566184000# shows that it actually left today.

I'm on the same boat! How many days do you think it takes at the VDC and then trucked to the dealer?

disturbed932 said:
EVFitter said:
Ordered June 26th.

I'm on the same boat! How many days do you think it takes at the VDC and then trucked to the dealer?

Here's the closest answers I've found. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649770

My i3 was released from vehicle processing center and is on the transport truck heading to my dealer. Hoping to pick it up tomorrow if the transport truck gets in early.

Latest posts

Back